SD expansion card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Is there any significant disadvantage to buying a 128gb model and an SD memory expansion card?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Speed of the SD card is significantly lower than the SSD. Other than that, no.

3. zerocool42 macrumors newbie

Performance and reliability are the two main concerns.

Performance of the sdcard is much much less than the internal SSD. I used mine for running low activity VMs where performance didn't matter to me.

An sdcard also doesn't have the same level of garbage collection, wear leveling, or trim support that a proper ssd has so the chance of failure could be higher. I wouldn't rely on one to store anything important that isn't backed up.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

They also have problems with waking from sleep and staying mounted sometimes.

5. newellj macrumors 601

I could be wrong, but I think I remember that the computer may not actually fully go into sleep mode with the card in the reader?

6. GeniusJon macrumors regular

7. Android300zx macrumors regular

I bought a Nifty Minidrive and a Sandisk 64GB UHS3 MicroSD from Amazon.

http://minidrive.bynifty.com

Refer to the following site for additional information on SD classes and speeds.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/

The Nifty Minidrive can be picked up directly from them or Amazon.com. It costs about $50 and you can put up to 128GB SD in it.

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

AFAIK the SD reader sits on the internal USB hub so not the fastest interface by far...

10. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Yup, agree. I have a nifty mini with a 128 gig card. I use it for non critical storage and its pretty useful. Most of my movies are on it.

11. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I'm reviving an old thread here but what are people's experience with Nifty's sleep/wake issues? I'm debating getting one for my new rMBP to keep my iTunes library on. I already have an external SSD but I'd like to keep some things with me for convenience (and not juggling my four external drives).

12. nohoch macrumors member

Ditto wondering the same thing, I have a 64gb card laying around and contemplating the nifty for non-critical storage and convenience, trying to determined if its worth the $40

13. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Well, I put a Transcend 128 in my GF's macbook air, moved her home directory to it (iTunes Lib and all)... and she has been running that way for over a year without any issues.

14. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have the Nifty mini drive with a 128Gb Sandisk micro SD card. In terms of read/write speed, obviously it is significantly slower than the SSD. I couldn't even store my photos library on there and view them without noticeable delay when loading them. But for infrequent access storage, it's fine.

Regarding the Nifty mini drive, mine did not fit into the SD card slot of my 2015 13" MBA and I had to cut down one of the protruding plastic ridges, and even then it was a tight fit that sits slightly to one side of the slot.