SD slot fights with my USB drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lavino, Jun 21, 2011.

1. lavino macrumors member

I inserted a SD card yesterday trying to grab some data from work. I also pop in my USB ext enclosure (an older one for IDE drive, I wonder that matters). At first I could not see the USB HDD but I had tried that drive the morning earlier so I knew that drive works for sure. I opened up Disk Utility and it doesn't even show up on the left hand column. As I thought there might be a problem... I was ejecting the SD card since I have done copying the work data. Poof! There it was! Right away I saw the HDD icon shows up on desktop. Anyone experienced this as well?

2. simsaladimbamba

What happens when the HDD is mounted and you insert the SD card? What USB port do you use on the iMac to connect the HDD?

3. rj86 macrumors member

Weird one. I think that the SD card slot is on the USB bus (you can check this in system profiler) so it kinda makes sense. Does the same thing happen regardless of which USB slot your drive is plugged into?

If your Mac is still in warranty, I'd highly recommend taking it in to a local Apple store/authorised service provider to get it checked out.