SD Slot = Secret 3G inclusion slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeeTom, Jun 9, 2009.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I'm sure this theory will be found to hold water soon enough, when someone does a June 2009 MacBook Pro Teardown, but:

Do you think that there is a 3G antenna running down to the SD Card Slot? I'm thinking that this will be Apple's way of having a SD 3G addon card down the line, even if carrier details weren't worked out just yet. In fact, I think that is the main purpose of this slot, but they won't announce it until carrier details are announced with the release of Snow Leopard and its built-in 3G networking software.

It means 3G-ready for all laptops made from now on, much like laptops were Airport-ready starting with the G3s.

Discuss.

2. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Did I miss something, or does the 17" also have an SD slot?

3. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

The 17" does not, but there are ExpressCard->SD devices, so theoretically the 17" models could be ready as well. Again, using AirPort logic, it would be the equivalent of having the iMac G3 AirPort adapter as well as the AirPort Card.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

5. mikeyur macrumors newbie

There are 2 reasons they moved to the SD card over the ExpressCard slot. For one, an expresscard wouldn't fit properly into a 13" (or at all) when you add on firewire and then use a non-removable battery. They needed that little something extra to make it 'pro' or people would've complained about no expresscard slot.

Also, as they mentioned, not many people use it. I have a bunch of friends with 15" and 17" MBPs and only 1 uses it (mostly uses it with a USB card - adds another 4 plugs).

I ordered a 17" MBP last week, even though this update didn't effect the 17, I'm glad I have the expresscard slot. I'm planning on picking up a 3G modem in the next month or 2.