Sd slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cool11, May 28, 2015.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I can't understand, why several kingston sd cards, which are micro-sd with adapter(sd), are not recognized from internal sd card slot of mbp (late '13), but they are visible and usable by osx system when I put them to usb card reader, which is attached to mbp.

Why this happens? This way sd slot of mbp is almost useless.
    Is something about the adapters?
    All of them are 'kingston', but I have a 'sandisk' also, no difference at all.

Slot does not malfunction with other 'normal'(not micro-sd with adapter) sd cards.

Even my cheapest netbook recognizes these cards, but mbp does not.

Any explanation? Why this happens?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if they're working in the card reader but not when you put them in the adapter. I'd lay odds that it has something to do with the adapter.

3. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Do you need an adapter for the SD slot? (my machine is on the UPS truck now so I haven't seen one yet)

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Sd adapter+micro sd card, does not function when inserted in mbp sd slot.

Sd adapter+micro sd card, functions when inserted in external(usb) card reader.

I can't tell for sure that it is an adapter problem.
    Also as I said I tried many adapters.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Apple sd card slots are always a lot shallower than most SD card slots so I would try a different adapter, nifty mini drives etc are designed specifically for macs.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the clarification, I thought you putting the SD card straight into the card reader and not using the adapter.

7. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I really cannot understand this 'eclectic behavior' of mbp sd slot.
    Almost I cannot find to buy the traditional normal-sized sd cards now. They seem to disappear!
    Everywhere they sell micro-sd cards with adapters, for use either on mobile phones or computers.