SD to HD question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zlinuk, Aug 26, 2010.

1. zlinuk macrumors member

Hi to everyone, i'm hoping somebody here can answer a question for me.

Over the last three or four years we have shot a number of short product demonstration videos.

The footage was shot as HDV using a sony fx1E and then captured as DV, edited in Prem Pro and then exported to various formats as required.

We would now like to reproduce each of the videos in HD, we have all of the .prproj files and all of the tapes with the original footage.

So the question is, is there a quick / efficient method of re-creating each of the projects utilising the HD footage?

Thanks in advance.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

My experience with Premiere Pro is pretty limited (I'm an FCP editor), but this portion of the web manual might help you. Scroll to near the bottom of the page where it says "Convert an online clip to an offline clip."

Basically, the same concept applies here as FCP. You would unlink the media the clips are referencing (effectively making them "offline" clips) and then do a batch capture from the original tape(s) and relink.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you properly labeled, logged, and shot the tapes this shouldn't be a big deal, but HDV can be very finicky though and I've had very little luck accurately recapturing from HDV.

Lethal

4. zlinuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input gents. As a trial I exported an EDL from one of the SD projects, created an new blank project into which I then imported the EDL.

The sequence came in fine as did all of the media (obviously unlinked) I haven't yet carried out the batch capture, but i'm fairly confident things will work out ok. The key to this working is having you tapes properly striped and labeled and you clips properly logged, as pointed out by lethalwolfe.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Just a warning you put crap in you get crap out.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know if exporting the EDL will work since you captured SD and want to recaptured as HD. You might have to use the Media Manager to make an HDV offline project.

Lethal

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yeah, I would second this. An imported EDL would simply reference the original SD footage just like the original project file would, which wouldn't exactly help you. You'll still want to bring your edited sequence offline and then attempt a batch capture from the tapes using HDV.

But again, since you're using Premiere, I can only theorize on that.

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Works well in FCP. My work iMac got stolen along with a project, but I had a backup of the FCP project sans actual video files. Everything was offline (of course) but I just did a batch capture and away we went.

I suppose if I was in a situation like the OP, I'd try to change the capture setting of the project file, and then re-capture.