SD videos on Blu-ray using Toast 10.0.7 Titanium

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MikeatOSX, Jul 16, 2010.

1. MikeatOSX macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

Hi,

I have a special question for you:

According to Toast 10 Titanium's manual it's possible to burn (small) HD videos to normal DVDs.
    So I wanted to reverse this and burnt several long SD videos to a BD-R.
    This seemed to work: Toast created a BDMV folder, created a valid menu and the mpeg-2 SD videos were created within the STREAM folder with m2ts suffix.
    The BD-R was burnt with a LG BE08LU extern Blu-Ray recorder.

So I loaded the new BD-R with my Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray player.
    Everything seemed to work fine: menu, audio (ac3) and chapter-marks, but there's a problem with the videos: each of them has some sort of bad video compression artifacts (missing picture information), although Toast didn't seem to convert the mpeg-2 videos, apart from the suffix.

Same results with Toast's own video player, although the player recognizes the SD video format.

So it would be very helpful for me, if you can tell me, how to make it better. :)

Mike

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I can't help you. But since you sound like someone who might be able to help me.... I hope you don't mind me asking you a question. I'm on the verge of buying a HD camcorder (sd card recording, good lowlight recording). Anyway, since you sound like someone with a nice hd setup already, I was wondering if you had a hd camcorder that use with your mac and if you were happy with it.

3. MikeatOSX thread starter macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

Sorry Steven, I don't have a HD-Camcorder (only SD). But I can use my DSLR-Camera (Canon EOS 7D) for this purpose.
    It makes great Full HD videos, but with different lenses and utilities it's much more expensive than a HD-Camcorder.
    I didn't already burn a Blu-ray with HD videos.

Mike

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Sorry Mike, I don't work with Toast.

But what are the files you give to toast? When they're not MPEG-2 you can bet on it that Toast converts it for you. If I were you I would convert the files myself and get the best settings. Then import those files.

I think the best converter is compressor from final cut studio. Just pick the best quality.

5. MikeatOSX thread starter macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

The files are original Mpeg-2, as I wrote.
    BTW, I know compressor, but converting is not a way to get good quality. :)