SD vs HD to SD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Jul 18, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Anyone compare a standard def recording to a HD converted down to SD? I'm getting a HDV camcorder and wondering what to expect when burning HD iMovies to SD DVD. I plan to get an AppleTV, but will end up making a DVD just for sharing with the family.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The consensus seems to be (at least with the Canon HV20/30) is that HDV downconverted to SD yields a better picture over SD.

3. icrude macrumors regular

I have a canon XH A1 and I've ran this test several times on different occasions.

ANSWER: Shoot in SD if u want SD. Shoot in HDV if you want HDV. Any codec conversion or down scaling will give slight pixelation around object edges.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I prefer HD to SD. It offers more flexibility and "future proofs" your stuff.

5. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So its 2 to 1 :)

Once I get a HD camera I will always be shooting in HD. I was curious how the final video would look if burned as a SD DVD for sharing with others. I plan to also get an AppleTV for computer to HDTV viewing, but not taking with me to family/friends.

6. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I can vouch for iCrude. I've seen sharpness be affected to an extent without major manipulation.