Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevieMooey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hi there,

My finance has just been approved, and subject to me signing them and sending back, Ill soon be completing my order of a 2.6 MBP. This machine will replace my 1st Gen MPB 2.0 (Yonah), so Im expecting noticeable improvements!

Will it be possible for me to put a SDD drive in there at a later date? I adore SDD tech, and I want it in my MBP! I dont play the waiting game however, and need my MBP now!

What do you think? Is it possible? Ive done a search and there are plenty of people who seem trial SDD in Merom MBP's (search YouTube for example). But the Apple dude said that it wasnt possible as the interface is different. I have a feeling he is wrong. Any thoughts?

-Mooey

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Apple dudes aren't often right... I can't see why you wouldn't be able to. But I'm no expert.

Anyone else got better information?

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
It's possible, i've seen many cases where people replace the HDDs in Macbooks and Macbook PROs with SSD-drives.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hi there,

My finance has just been approved, and subject to me signing them and sending back, Ill soon be completing my order of a 2.6 MBP. This machine will replace my 1st Gen MPB 2.0 (Yonah), so Im expecting noticeable improvements!

Will it be possible for me to put a SDD drive in there at a later date? I adore SDD tech, and I want it in my MBP! I dont play the waiting game however, and need my MBP now!

What do you think? Is it possible? Ive done a search and there are plenty of people who seem trial SDD in Merom MBP's (search YouTube for example). But the Apple dude said that it wasnt possible as the interface is different. I have a feeling he is wrong. Any thoughts?

-Mooey

Hiya Stevie,

Apple likes to play safe when giving users advice regarding user customization, the last thing they want is for you or us, complain to them that we did a upgrade that out specified our systems beyond Apple's printed spec and somehow caused a system malfunction.

As for upgrading the internal drive...
Well, if your a tad handy with a screwdriver and online tutorials, you can buy ANY Solid State Harddrives (SSD) that is 2.5" with SATA interface and 9mm depth... and it should work absolutely fine!! A-Data have a 128GB 2.5" SATA SSD on the market...

Alternatively, you can buy a ExpressCard 34 SSD, they come in 4Gb to 64GB, though I believe 128Gb versions are in the pipeline. Again, not cheap!

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I don't know the link but if you google it you'll find a site of someone who actually did it so yes, it will definitely work.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
No good quoting UK prices mate, England isn't called RIP-OFF Britain for nowt! Trust me, it doesn't cost that much... UK's sales tax is extremely high, already a 17.5% mark up! Plus there's the sellers high profits!!

Japan's Sales Tax is only 5%!
- Yep the grass is greener!

And Hong Kong is TAX FREE! :eek:

I know... but it was only a quick search... :p

Feel like linking to something more appropriate?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
uh... how about the concept of "working" and "saving" and buying a cheapie PC until you can afford to actually pay for a mac!

where in the OP's post do you figure out that he is not working?? you don't have a clue about his situation and already judged the guy :confused:

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
where in the OP's post do you figure out that he is not working?? you don't have a clue about his situation and already judged the guy :confused:

hey, if he can't afford to throw money at sh*t then he must be an unemployed layabout, didn't you get spaceballls memo? no inbetween ground - basically, the po' can't own macs. brings down their cultural cachet.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
you don't have a clue about his situation and already judged the guy :confused:
There's no judging here! I'm just not one to finance depreciating assets. After 18 months, the computer will be worth half what is was worth when he bought it. And he'll not only still be making payments on the original value, but payments on the original value + interest. Just doesn't seem smart. No judging though.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
financing a computer? ugh....
Hay I fianced my maccbook pro last year since my bank gave me 0% for 6months and I could have paid it off all at once but I took the adavange and paid it off in 6 months and after doing it it was the smart choice. :)

StevieMooey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for the helpful advice.

For the curious and revealing speculation on my personal circumstances:

I work four days a week in a supported housing project for families recovering from substance abuse. I also lecture 4 hours per week in University. In addition, I am studying Part time for my PhD. The working title of my thesis is "From 'Addict Self' to 'Spiritual Self': Spiritual Technologies of Recovery and the Theology of Addiction."

I graduated last year and achieved a first class degree in Theology and Religious Studies. I was awarded two prizes: The Christ's and Notre Dame prize for the best overall performance of a final year graduate, and the Theology Prize for the best performance in Theology.

My previous MBP has died. I need a new computer. I don't have the cash. I got finance.

Shanti

-Mooey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.