SDD RAID IN an late 09 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Redsand187, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Redsand187 macrumors member

Okay, I am wondering if this is possible. I don't know too much about this kind of stuff, so bare with me.

I'd like to get 2 OCZ Agility 3 drives, and run them in a RAID 0 configuration. (I think that's right, I want them fast, not redundant)

I know there is only 1 SATAII port, besides that for the optical drive. Can I replace the HDD with a ICYDOCK and set it to my RAID setting and call it good? Or does it require another SATAII port?

I will be updating to a next iMac, so I'd like to be able to swap this system into that, hence the SATAIII drives. Plus they are cheap on NewEgg right now.

I think this will work, but I have ZERO experience with anything more then swapping drives and ram.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are two SATA 3Gb/s ports, one for the HD and one for the ODD. If you replace both with an SSD, then you can run them in RAID 0.

3. Redsand187 thread starter macrumors member

Does the ICY dock allow for 2 drives to be seen as 1 though? It looks like it only has 1 SATA connector, but you can put 2 drives in it.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can put them in RAID but you will be limited to 3Gb/s (they share the bandwidth), so RAIDing wouldn't provide any good.