Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Here is my thread regarding an Intel 520 Series SSD.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1350803/

The 520 doesn't work at all on my Late 2008 MBP.
I am starting a new thread to get feedback as to what brand/model SSD I can try instead - one that will work without problems on my 2008 MBP. :confused:
I've heard the Crucial M4 is one that works - is that correct? I'm wondering if that's the route I need to take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

CTechKid

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Here is my thread regarding an Intel 520 Series SSD.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1350803/

The 520 doesn't work at all on my Late 2008 MBP.
I am starting a new thread to get feedback as to what brand/model SSD I can try instead - one that will work without problems on my 2008 MBP. :confused:
I've heard the Crucial M4 is one that works - is that correct? I'm wondering if that's the route I need to take?

Contact the guys at OWC and see what they recommend.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

IMO they are the best drives available.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Crucial M4 is a good choice and users here have found it to be compatible with Macs and very reliable. Same can be said for the Samsung 470.

I would not use OWC as they use Sandforce controllers which have a history of problems.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Crucial M4 is a good choice and users here have found it to be compatible with Macs and very reliable. Same can be said for the Samsung 470.

I would not use OWC as they use Sandforce controllers which have a history of problems.

I believe the Intel 520 that I am returning is also a Sandforce controller - so I would not want to buy another SSD with that controller.

The M4 seems to be more cost effective for me than the Samsung. I just wish I knew for certain.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe the Intel 520 that I am returning is also a Sandforce controller - so I would not want to buy another SSD with that controller.

The M4 seems to be more cost effective for me than the Samsung. I just wish I knew for certain.

Yes, the Intel 520 is a Sandforce controller.

If you find the M4 for close to the cost of the Samsung 470, the M4 is probably the better long term deal for you. The M4 is a SATA III drive where the 470 is a SATA II. Even though your Macbook is only SATA II, the SATA III is backwards compatible and will work plus you will have the added speed of SATA III if you later move the M4 to another machine. Also Crucial is one of the few vendors that has a downloadable boot CD you can use to update SSD firmware in a Mac.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Yes, the Intel 520 is a Sandforce controller.

If you find the M4 for close to the cost of the Samsung 470, the M4 is probably the better long term deal for you. The M4 is a SATA III drive where the 470 is a SATA II. Even though your Macbook is only SATA II, the SATA III is backwards compatible and will work plus you will have the added speed of SATA III if you later move the M4 to another machine. Also Crucial is one of the few vendors that has a downloadable boot CD you can use to update SSD firmware in a Mac.

Good comments. I think I'll go with the M4. Do you have any recommendations for cloning my existing drive? I believe Crucial recommends SuperDuper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html).

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I have the crucial c300 in my 2011 MacBook Pro,.. no problems whatsoever. I heard that the M4 had some annoying issues with "hanging" during usage. A couple of friends have returned them and replaced them with either a c300 or a OWC drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have the crucial c300 in my 2011 MacBook Pro,.. no problems whatsoever. I heard that the M4 had some annoying issues with "hanging" during usage. A couple of friends have returned them and replaced them with either a c300 or a OWC drive.

The M4 hanging issue was fixed in a firmware update and I have not seen reports of it since then. It seems to be quite reliable now.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
I've been running the M4 in my early 2008 MBP for about 6 months. It has been a dream. Wicked fast, trim enabled. Used CCC to clone my old HDD. Worst part was prying the damn case open for the first time, but the OP won't have that problem.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010

Agreed 100%. I would not get a SF drive as of right now for your main drive. That is my personal opinion based on its reliability track record. The M4 is great drive and it is the main drive I use in my MBP. I can't say enough good things about it and the big reason is because Crucial delivers as a company. You have an issue? They help you out. That problem that showed up? They made a firmware update promptly which fixed it. Your Mac needs different support? They do that. Simply said, they have shown themselves as the maker that comes through while other makers have dragged their feet and even denied a problem exists.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Agreed 100%. I would not get a SF drive as of right now for your main drive. That is my personal opinion based on its reliability track record. The M4 is great drive and it is the main drive I use in my MBP. I can't say enough good things about it and the big reason is because Crucial delivers as a company. You have an issue? They help you out. That problem that showed up? They made a firmware update promptly which fixed it. Your Mac needs different support? They do that. Simply said, they have shown themselves as the maker that comes through while other makers have dragged their feet and even denied a problem exists.

Awesome to hear :) Thanks.

----------

I've been running the M4 in my early 2008 MBP for about 6 months. It has been a dream. Wicked fast, trim enabled. Used CCC to clone my old HDD. Worst part was prying the damn case open for the first time, but the OP won't have that problem.

Great to hear this! I was hoping someone with a 2008 MBP would chime in :) As far as TRIM goes, I don't know a lot about it. Is that something that will be enabled by default - and will it make a difference?

Also what OS version are you on? I'm running Lion. Thanks.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Do the M4s have good on-board garbage collection? I'm back in the market for another SSD and don't want to have to enable TRIM if I don't have to.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do the M4s have good on-board garbage collection? I'm back in the market for another SSD and don't want to have to enable TRIM if I don't have to.

NickZac posted this link a couple days ago that seems to put this whole TRIM thing in perspective. Short answer is the M4 has good on board garbage collection and does not need TRIM.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
w00t!

Just installed the Crucial M4 256GB and WOW - what a difference! The Intel 520 wouldn't even work and only negotiate at 1.5Gb. Now I'm able to get a negotiated link speed of 3Gb on my Late 2008 MacBook Pro! This thing is flying!
If you are on the fence about what brand to get, go for the Crucial - lovin' it so far! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.