SDHC write issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dusk007, Jul 10, 2013.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I got tow SDHC cards here one 8GB one 16GB. Neither wants to mount writable.
    Both have manual lock lever which is set correctly and I got two digital cameras that write just fine to either card. Somehow my MBP only reads it.

Does anybody know what to do?
    (Aside from the workaround of connecting the cameras with a usb cable)

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Check what file format the cards are using. There are certain formats MacOS can only read. If you are just going to use it in the Mac, reformat them to Mac OS extended journaled as you would any hard drive.

If you want to write to and not reformat the cards, there are third party Mac apps that can do that for you... but I think cameras may be a bit picky about disk file structure and your results may vary anyway.

3. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

The camera wouldn't be able to read hfs+. It is just standard FAT32. I don't think sd cards this size ever get formatted in anything else.

The cards work perfectly well. I tried to mount them in a Windows VM but that didn't seem to work at all. Couldn't connect it to the VM. :(

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

What camera are you using? You want to write to a card anything other than deleting images?

My canon formatted cards work just fine in a Mac 10.8.4. BTW, the USB link is my primary method of getting images off the camera, its not a work around for me. I use the SD card directly only to get images into my iPAD.

5. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

One is a Panasonic lumix the other a Casio Exilim. It is just the usual point and shoot stuff.
    Yes I want to write other data then photos to the SD card. That used to work but for some reason it doesn't anymore.
    I just checked whether iphoto would behave any differently but it doesn't. It can read and import anything but it won't let me delete or add any photo.

For me it is a work around to fiddle with cables. They usually are slower than directly inserted. I would have to find those annoying cables first. I need a free usb slot. Both camera actually require a different cable (one slightly smaller plug on one). Just taking out the SD card is much easier.

Does Canon format anything other than FAT? I doubt it.
    I am quite sure they did work once. I know they did in my last Samsung notebook because I used the SD Card when there was no flash drive available. If I remember correctly I used the MBP the same way a couple times. I used it once to put some big installer images on it.
    Now the MBP acts as if the manual lock was engaged.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

7. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

I did not try that but I did now and unfortunately it doesn't help.
    Isn't there a way to make OSX mount an NTFS drive as writeable with some terminal command. Maybe I can make it mount my SD card correctly with some terminal command.