SDK and GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfong06, Feb 11, 2008.

1. rfong06 macrumors member

Is it possible for developers to create a gps thing for the iphone instead of waiting for iphone V2?:confused:

2. rayward macrumors 68000

Would most likely require a hardware upgrade, so "no". Of course, the software option, using cell phone towers and wifi hotspots to chart your position, was added with 1.1.3.

3. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

4. bigrash macrumors regular

Not necessarily. Couldn't you use a bluetooth gps receiver? I still have one from when I used to use windows mobile, so I'm hoping a gps software is released.

5. madhive macrumors newbie

Eh....out of EVERY PHONE EVER MADE! How come they couldn't just pop in a GPS to the iPhone? Pretty lame, even though i will be getting one soon.

6. rfong06 thread starter macrumors member

I'll just wait for v2 hopefully it'll come with GPS :rolleyes:

7. rayward macrumors 68000

Guess I wasn't thinking about external GPS. Bluetooth would be a more elegant solution than a bolt on. Would also be a battery-killer.

8. Rhinestorm macrumors member

Because most phones don't have a GPS, and Apple probably didn't think it'll be useful.

9. madhive macrumors newbie

Look at such a nice display the phone has, who wouldn't picture a GPS on that, considering it is a cell phone.

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I agree that the screen just begs for a GPS app. It would be so awesome. Hopefully someone can come up with third party app. I don't think that it would be hard do with some kind of external GPS antenna, especially since it has already been done for other phones. I hope more than anything that it will be native on the 2nd Generation!!

11. Bigsam411 macrumors member

Cant they just allow use of a bluetooth gps receiver in Google maps on the phone. Maps already supports directions all they need to do is add voice navigation and gps support.

12. eightseventhree macrumors newbie

I cant see this being a major problem to write. Whoever makes the first one will make a small fortune!

With having no internal GPS and using an external device this will take considerable strain off the battery as it would just be the BT and software running.

I had TOMTOM on my last smart phone and it worked a treat. This is Deff a feature that im waiting for !

13. Moleshome macrumors member

I couldn't agree more.

I wouldn't hold out much hope on the TomTom front, the smartphone side of things seems to be an evolutionary dead end for them now; they are only interested in the dedicated hardware side now.

14. ne0star macrumors regular

It will depend on what kind of access apple allow to hardware through the SDK.

The thing is any bluetooth GPS reciever currently on the market would work if Apple would add some more bluetooth profiles.

I think its safe to assume that the main reason GPS isn't in the iphone is the same reason 3G isn't, POWER!

Anyone who has owned an N95 will remember how useless the GPS functionality was on battery. In fact scratch that from my experience everyone will remember how useless the GPS was period :D

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a GPS device in my car. It might run for 2 hours on battery, but even that is probably a dream. Therefore, don't expect it to be coming in the near future. The latest Google Maps feature is pretty darn good for something that doesn't suck any extra battery power.

If you want GPS, go buy one. I got one for $100.

16. gyumilly macrumors member

I agree on BT GPS. BT GPS that I have (about $60 value) has appx 20 hors of battery life and I rather not have it integrated in iPhone (bettery life, weight...). All U.S. Maps should takes about 2GB, which isn't an issue in iPhone.

I'm too waitinig for a GPS software and I'll be the first one to buy.

The only question I have is Apple's gone to LocateMe way, so I don't know if they'll like the idea of external GPS. Apple may sell its own GPS not allowing others too. There's so much money to be made in GPS and iPhone industry imo.

17. rfong06 thread starter macrumors member

I hope so too :) but i'll settle with a external gps since it won't drain the battery.

18. georgeoommen macrumors regular

This makes me wonder, now that the iPhone is jailbreaked, and well, with the new Ziphone, even unlocked on all firmwares and bootloaders, and with so many native apps popping up, isn't it possible for programmers/hackers to write additional bluetooth profiles and upload them??

And while they are at it, add a profile for wireless syncing of contacts and calendar info. Wireless syncing of music and videos might be a bit much given the amount of data that needs to be transferred, but contacts and calendars would be so amazing.. Imagine walking through the front door, the mini in the living room detects my iphone in range and automatically syncs all the calendar info and contacts i've editted on it all day long. Oohh.. I can keep on dreaming i guess..

I'm not a programmer so i have no clue how it works, just thinking out loud..
    Maybe one of you can shed some light on this for me.

19. eightseventhree macrumors newbie

I think they will do . .

As of now the holy grail has been done to unlock the phone. This will always be a "cat and mouse" affair as jobs said it would be. remember this phone is still relatively new.

But i think now people will start to think about unlocking/expanding other features of the phone