SDK and themes

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by frikkyco, Feb 19, 2008.

1. frikkyco macrumors member

Ok, I've read many posts speculating what may be released with the upcoming sdk. Does anyone think Apple will allow Summerboard themes to be installed? Or does that mess with things too much for Apple to allow? Just curious what you think. I suppose I can wait for the release, but if I can't get my themes, I'm jb'ing my IPT again. Hopefully ZiPhone will have a GUI that works for the 16gbIPT that doesn't mess it up like it did for me last week. Cheers!

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.3 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Maybe we'll see an iPod/iPhone Candybar ... ?

3. swearbymac07 macrumors member

I sure hope so.....

When I first got my iPod Touch, I had no idea what Jailbreaking was. There were people around me offering to do it for me, but so far I have held out from doing it. Recently, it has become increasingly difficult to hold back from Jailbreaking, as I have seen Summerboard Themes that make peoples iPod Touches look Different (hey...thats ironic. Apples old slogan "Think Different":D:D:D:apple::apple::apple:) I sure hope that the upcoming SDK allows Themes for iPod Touches and iPhones alike. PLEASE APPLE.........PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers!!!!!!

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i doubt it as apps will be 'sandboxed' in their own environment, unless apple allows this as an interface change i dont think an sdk created app would have the power or ability.

5. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Well, that would suck. I had a jb'd 16gb IPT, then tried to use a jailbreak method listed on this site for 1.1.3 when it screwed everything up, locked things up for a couple days until I figured out how to undo the mess. Now I have a plain touch with January's upgrade, but nothing fun. I hope ZiPhone comes up with somethign to easily jb a 16gb touch as it doesn't work right now. I hope he's listening.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I simply want to change the iPhone metal mesh Dock.

7. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I don't think we will see "SummerBoard" changing the themes, but maybe Apple will implement their own system for changing themes.

8. bdsmyth macrumors regular

9. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

It was just an idea.

People who were hacking their PSPs were adding custom themes, but then eventually, an update was released that supported custom themes. Maybe Apple will do the same thing...

10. syngatesa7x macrumors newbie

maybe with 1.1.4 the ability to change themes will be built into the preferences instead of having a separate summerboard-like app. Like you could change your theme just as you change a wallpaper in the preferences.

11. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

I hope Apple is reading these posts. We all have good ideas for them to develop.

12. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

The extent of themes for the SDK would be a new backgrounds and docks. Icon changes would be a mess. Any time a new app comes out, icons for EVERY theme would have to be made. One thing I dislike about Summerboard is that all themes only have custom icons for the older apps.