SDK......????? Do most of us really need it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PJNorwood, Feb 23, 2008.

1. PJNorwood macrumors member

OK, I am not someone who will adjust, unlock, hack or make my iphone do anything that it can't. I don't object to those of you who are capable and/or can think so globally. Me, I am basic, I use my PC for basic things and I will be using my iphone for the basic functions...web browsing, e-mail, phone, ipod, calendar, and alarm clock. I know there is more and may learn to use and enjoy the many possibilties. But, with that said is SDK really for me. Yes, I will most likely use some 3d party apps if/when available.

Now, I may be completely wrong because I have a limited understanding of SDK, APPS, 3G and all the other technology information. So do I really need to waste the memory space w/ a feature that doesn't benefit me? Or I missing something with my limited knowledge?

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the SDK. This wouldn't be anything you'd buy to begin with. A Software Development Kit is for use by, well, software developers. That wouldn't be you. It's for people who will write software for the iPhone under Apple's development program. Again, that wouldn't be you.

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

If you ever want to be able to really on some one other than apple to produce the software you need to make the iPhone a full featured smart phone then yes.

Lord knows apple will take their dear sweet time.

4. PJNorwood thread starter macrumors member

SO I do understand SDK. :) It is not for me. So now, there is no need to wait any longer. Now I just have to decide 8 or 16Gb and will the price actaully drop as rumored. I think I won't wait any longer well until at least next Friday. Maybe we will hear something about the rumored price drop by then. IZf not one can only wait so long.

5. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

The others here have pretty much got it. I'll add a few clarifications.

An SDK, for all intensive purposes, is like a manual for software developers. It's a key and map too all the doors of the iPhone. Right now the guys out there doing software for the iPhone that aren't Apple are stumbling in the dark, and, admittedly are damn good at it :)

However, once the SDK comes out, you will (hopefully) start seeing lots of 3rd part applications appearing for the iPhone. If it weren't for the OSX SDK, you wouldn't see even 1% of the payware, shareware, and freeware apps that are on the market.

When the SDK comes out, it will be good for all iphone users, but not because you will need to "go get" the SDK. It will just allow others to make lots of neat new toys for you. You can go download those though :)

6. PJNorwood thread starter macrumors member

7. paulobrad macrumors regular

When it comes to phone - web browsing, email and music are not "basic functions", if you own an iPhone you are not someone that only wants a phone for 'basic functions'.

When official 3rd party apps start rolling they have the potential to add some pretty impressive functions that you maybe don't think you need/want but may actually prove *very* handy/cool/useful.