SDK Guesses

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dukebound85, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Now that we have seen Apple charge for apps, do you think all apps that are a result of the sdk will now be charged, much like games for the ipod.

i personally don't like this trend and hope this isn't a predicator of what's to come

what do you think?

2. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

i bet they'll charge you another $20. what do you think ?! It's Apple (Britney), bitch!

LOL kidding.

3. Nexxus macrumors member

Is the sky blue? Do birds fly? The answer to both of those questions is your response. Of course they will charge. However there will be people who will build wonderful apps and offer them for free. Then again, I'm sure apple is putting some sort of DRM on each program and anything that is loaded on the touch will have to have a special code to work. I'm beginning to hate Apple.

4. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

They'll absolutley charge! I'm sure there'll be a few apps out there for free but I'd be surprised if the majority don't cost. And its not even using yesterdays decision as the refence point - Apple has always charged for iPod games.

I'd think (and hope) that pricing is consistant with what we've seen - games are $4.99 and yesterdays apps were $4.00 each.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

"Will some SDK-developed Apps cost additional money?" I think that's a no-brainer: Of course they will.

I think some more interesting questions, to which we have no clear answer yet, are:
    - Will there be any mechanism, if individual developers choose, to distribute some of the SDK-developed Apps free of charge?
    - How much editorial independence will the developers have to cede to Apple in exchange for digital signatures or distribution rights?
    - How effective will the sandboxing be at preventing one App from maliciously damaging or harvesting the private information that belongs to another App?
    - What potential software capabilities will have to be sacrificed to achieve that level of protection?
    - Will there be options available to remove some of those restrictions to allow more powerful applications, in the cases of trusted developers? What would constitute a trusted developer?

6. theman macrumors 6502a

imo, you will have to buy all apps separately from the itunes store. probably $2-$3 depending on the app. i wouldn't be surprised if it would be impossible (without hacking or jailbreaking) to install apps without first buying them from the itunes store.

i don't know why apple is squandering the freeware/open source options... but they will.

7. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I thought I read that Apple was looking to take a fee out of the sales (1-10%). I don't think they'll let you give it away even if you want to.

8. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I thought I read about the actual charges and they seemed reasonable and even said they apps could be free if the developer wanted. Apple did get a portion of the fee. I don't know if these were rumors or official. I hope that if the developer wanted to give something away then Apple would let them, but if Apple has to look at each program's source code (as part of approval process) they will probably have a minimum fee.