SDK in Beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DuFFy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. DuFFy macrumors regular

I know there were rumors before March 6 saying the SDK would be released only in beta on the 6th, but i dont remember them saying anything at the roadmap event about it being beta, so is it a final release? I just read an article that said it was only the beta version, and i was completely confused. I was under the impression that since they never said at the event that it was only beta, that is what the final SDK, but my memory could be wrong and have missed them saying, just need some clarification. Thanks.

Oh and heres the article i was reading just in case you're curious:
    http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Will_iPhone_SDK_Bring_The_Killer_Application_for_iPhone_15025.html

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So, yes, SDK beta it is… ;)

3. robhedin macrumors regular

4. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

The SDK is final (though they might add to it later, hypothetically), the 2.0 firmware for the iPhone is what's in beta.

That linked article also says the "final" version of the SDK is due in June, 2009. I'm pretty sure that's a typo....

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, the SDK is in beta, including the latest version of Xcode Tools and Dashcode.

6. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

OK, the tools may be in beta, but I'm pretty sure the APIs are final. Whether that makes the whole SDK beta if not if the framework is finalized and in place is entirely up to you.

Regardless, I think it should be cleared up that the June (2008, to boot, not 2009) release is not the "final" version of the SDK as the link in the original post inferred. The June release is for the iPhone 2.0 firmware, which is currently in beta. The SDK is out and available for download now.

7. robhedin macrumors regular

Actually, according to Apple, the SDK is in beta. Just picking the "readme" for the SDK clearly states this:

"This beta release of the iPhone SDK includes..."

While it is possible and likely that most, if not all of the framework is in place, since the restrictions placed on the use of the SDK revolve around access to "public" interfaces, it is possible that the extent of what will be made fully public as opposed to Apple Internal is not yet complete. Hence, the public API is also in beta.

rob.

8. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Well. Maybe I should stop talking about stuff I don't know everything about, then. :)