SDK march 6th? NAH!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by speakerwizard, Feb 27, 2008.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

first apple says the SDK is to be "unveiled" in Febuary (Unveiled not release, apple are always careful with wording) now the invites to the march 6th event say "Please join us to learn about the iPhone software roadmap" not the release of the SDK, and the invite clearly depicts a picture with enterprise support which will be out at that time i guess, then SDK release (for devs), then software update (for end users (iphone / touch) So i wouldnt get to excited just yet, this is a preview in my opinion, then the sdk will be released to devs and then later on the apps will come with a future update. Just the way im seeing things, Still it will be nice to see whats to come on the 6th, a nice preview, I'm patient.

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

That link says nothing that disproves the OP

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I wouldn't expect to much, but the latest weeks apple have been releasing some nice things... And if it all went well it should be out March 2008

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Calm down.

It is a roadmap to what they will be doing.

Even IF the SDK was released that day, that is not the same as releasing new programs to run on the iPhone. It is just something to show developers HOW to develop for the iPhone.

It is not when the SDK comes out that you should be looking for, but when Apple will start putting them on iTunes. Oh, and how much flesh Apple will ask for when you d/l them.

5. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i dont think you read my original post, i said i was in no rush for it and i also said the sdk and final apps would be on seperate dates, im not an idiot, or too eager to prove i know what an sdk is lol.

6. cupofjoe macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the OP is in the right here, but I hope there are some apps available on that day. >.<

7. KDuncan macrumors newbie

I wasnt trying to disprove him.....i was backing his statement... DUH

i was just giving a source for his information.

8. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

just watched the original iphone keynote, even though i have had one a while now, that keynote still manages to get me going lol, its a master piece, jobs at his best and it reminds you how good the iphone is, its easy to become complacent with these products apple gives us you only really realise when you have to use a pc or crappy phone lol.

9. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Perhaps the Dellay of the SDK and the bug fix are just parts of a bigger plan here.

Enterprise support leads me to think that perhaps an update is going to be realeased sporting a word processor or perhaps support for MS-Exchange servers.

They may go the way of integrating .mac with the iPhone.

Either way enterprise means PDA fucntions most likely as I doubt steve jobs is going to come out and say, Now your web apps can save data to the iPhone. That or have nothing to mention for the lack of SDK.

The big point I am seeing here is the fact he is inviting reporters and not DEVs.

If the SDK where comming out then you know Google, Novel, Norton, Gameloft, EA, and other big software devs woul be front row.

No instead they are inviting the press which means that at best we will see A new bit of software to download from iTunes (like the ipod touch with the release of 1.1.3). That or perhaps a bit of extended maybe's about SDK releases and future software plans.

10. kster macrumors member

11. rayward macrumors 68000

I went 7 months from iDay without a hitch with my iPhone. Then it, and its replacement, crapped out on me in the space of a week. The short while I was without a fully functioning iPhone was more than enough to remind me how much I rely on the thing.

12. werkedm3 macrumors member

Apple originally said they were working on the SDK on Nov. 14 (according to wired). IMO if apple is just talking about it, and not releasing anything, they are taking too long. They have known about this for a while, and their delays show in nearly every product they release. They need to hire some more people.

13. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

They need to push out something quick. The new releases yesterday were great, but we definitely need more SDK news. Obviously "The Steve" is at least going to mention it on March 6th (Next Thursday I believe) if not debut a few apps for it. I hope it's something exciting, if they are not inviting developers either they've already received the Kit and they will debut apps or they haven't at all.. Let's hope it's not the latter.

14. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm expecting Apple to release some apps as well as outlining the 'roadmap' :)
    But I feel something will be available to download that day off iTunes.

15. willxm macrumors member

Why would apple send out invitations to the media? Just kind of strange that they would send out an invitation to the media saying "oh look what we have been working on and this is how to develop software on the SDK that you cant even have yet". I can see a developers debriefing, but why use an outlet to the public to announce an unfinished SDK that was confirmed by Jobs months ago? Makes me think (or hope) they will have something worth while, a few apps that select developers have already made, an actual SDK release, something.

16. Nall macrumors regular

There is something along these lines in the Safari 3.1 beta, and presumably Apple is going to update Mobile Safari sooner or later.

Because the SDK is big news?
    Because they're hoping some of the other items (exchange support?) will drum up business sales?
    Because the SDK is running behind and everyone is inquiring about it?

Remember there's a good chance this upcoming SDK release is just a beta for developers, anyway.

17. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Steve just don't piss me off. :)

18. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

wow, are you seriously doubting this???

just be happy apple has finally given us a date. what do you expect? Steve jobs taking the stage to announce that the sdk has been delayed another month? If they were planning to delay it, they wouldn't have made the announcement march 6, a week after the day they had already promised.

And if you actually read the article, it says that select developers already have their hands on the sdk. this means that we will be seeing some apps next week. thank god.

EDIT: you may be onto something regarding the firmware. as much as i wish 1.1.4 was a prep to app capability, i really think it was an update to "fix bugs." There's no chance apple is going to release another firmware next week w/ the sdk . . . no matter apple's plans, I just hope we can get some facts about the SDK and apple's "roadmap" next week at this event.

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Some developers have probably already been using/testing the SDK for a while now to help Apple get it in shape for a more general release.

So techncially it is likely already released, thus not noting it is going to be released on the 6th.

In the end who cares.

20. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i doubt it because nowhere do they ever say sdk release, the only hint is on the 'road map' which clearly shows the enterprise solution (which will be covererd on the 6th) then later down the road the sdk (dev conference i presume) then later down the road, software update. It is possible apple has a chosen few with prereleases to keep us sweeet but to take rumor as fact is just silly when it comes to apple.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Did you stop to think that the "roadmap" in that picture is just a fabrication and not the real order that things will be done?

The fact is, we won't know what is being released on what date till hopefully next week.

22. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

That's generally the point in a road map.