SDK Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Feb 2, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

When the SDK comes out, will it allow the iPhone to be customized like with a jailbreak, with customized icons and backgrounds seen with Summerboard?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I have the suspicion that the only people who know the answer to that are under NDA....

But I'm personally a little skeptical that Apple will allow SDK apps to modify the core interface, though I guess it depends on the licensing/keying method to ensure apps are trusted. But Apple could just as easily add that functionality themselves too.

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

How can no one know the answer to my question? Everyone talks about the SDK like they're the ones working at Apple helping to develop it when in reality, no one has any clue.

The whole reason I'm waiting for the SDK and not trying to jailbreak my phone and lose my phone function is because I'm praying we will be able to customize the homescreens and icons like all the awesome screen shots that can be seen in other threads, like this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=359967

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Well, like I said - anyone who knows the answer is legally bound not to disclose it. So the only opinions you'll see are from people who don't know or who are risking their careers and/or being sued just to answer your question a few weeks before it's public knowledge. So unless you really can't wait any longer to customize your home screens and icons or you're willing to reset back to a non-jailbroken iPhone when the SDK is released if it has the features you want, I'd suggest just waiting a few more weeks for the SDK to be released so you can find out for sure what it allows for and what kind of apps people will be able to build.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

sorry a rumor site isn't up to your standards...

sjobs@apple.com .... good luck.

6. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Exactly, a rumors site.

I sit here reading about people talking of the SDK and how great it's going to be and all this when, in reality, no one has any idea what to expect.

I thought my question was pretty basic for all of these people that feel they know it all, yet no one has a clue. Now I know.

I just hope when Feb 29 rolls around that we aren't all disappointed, that's all.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the sdk will be for apps, not interface changes or plugins (eg flash like so many seem to think)

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Fact: Themes can make money.

Fact: Apple likes money.

Q: Who will want to sell themes?