sdk vs. installer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justinwayne, Feb 18, 2008.

?

installer or sdk if apple charges for apps

Poll closed Mar 14, 2008.
  1. I will continue to use the installer app if apple charges for apps

19.3%
  2. I will update to the sdk firmware even if Apple charges for apps

63.2%
  3. I will wait to see what the development community says to do

21.1%
  4. who cares

7.0%
  1. justinwayne macrumors newbie

who do you think will have better apps the sdk or the installer app after a few weeks for the installer developers to fool around with the sanctioned itunes apps and the reasonable assumption that apple will charge your first born child for apps via itunes i wouldnt jump at the sdk / firmware update at first sight i think i'll stick it out with the installer community apple is just trying to copy their popularity except they are probably going to try to cash in on it current developers i will continue to support you how about you

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

judging that the quality of the applications offered through Apple will be higher and more efficient than ones that have no requirements and bars to hurdle.

I wouldn't mind paying $5 for something that would make my life easier.

3. justinwayne thread starter macrumors newbie

are you serious the quality of applications on the installer app is top notch i dont think apple is going to be able to beat them in that and i will bet that there will not be many applications availible thruogh the sdk that are not allready on the thee divine and wonderous installer app
    my prayers and donation are with you installer dev community

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Punctuation app would be nice...

I have a 'legitimate' iPhone, so am very much looking forward to the SDK and the opportunity to get hold of some new apps.

Now if there is a small charge for some, that is fine and understandable. I don't work for free either!

5. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

PUNCTUATION

I will gladly pay extra money for applications made by Apple, if they decide in fact to charge for some or all, especially if they are more reliable than some of the installer.app ones.

6. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

I, for one, am not going to pay money for apps that Installer gives us for free, the installer apps are as stable as anything Apple has given us.

7. zetsurin macrumors regular

I think installer and the apps/games I have tried are top notch, so am happy to stick to that path. Have already written my own apps for my own purpose using the unofficial SDK and it's been a piece of cake. Don't personally need the official SDK and the limitations and lockdowns that it would no doubt entail. Also, if desktop OSX is anything to go by, the apps available will be hideously overpriced for what they offer. iPhone programming is insanely easy, so excuses are thin for cost justification. If I see an app I like which is too expensive, I'll write my own version. Can't see too many problems there.

8. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

9. lewisozz macrumors member

lewisozz

I would

I would update my virgin iphone to the 1.1.4 SDK because the apps from apple are reliable and we have a piece of mind downloading them unlike App.Tapp or Installer because they are made by people how we dont no and we dont trust

10. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

Most of the apps will not be made by Apple either.

11. Noumenon macrumors regular

The Apple Sdk won't be continuously harrassed with each update. Why would one continue to climb the fense after they install a door?

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I will only upgrade through Apple releases. So, I'm waiting for the SDK.

13. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"even if apple charges for apps", of course they bloody will, thats how a company (and the app developers) make money lol

14. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Probably keep Installer.app for a while until we see what the SDK can actually bring us.