SDK with 1.1.4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdd4, Feb 27, 2008.

1. sdd4 macrumors member

Seeing as how the new firmware was just released (as minor as it may be), do you think that we're prepped for the SDK? Or was this just an attempt to slow down the unofficial developers again? I could kind of imagine Apple leading us on a wild goose chase with this one, and releasing a new firmware again next week that will just re-break everything developers are working on now with 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

Or

As someone posted elsewhere, do you think that the SDK announcement is merely that: an announcement of the SDK, and not actually the release. Otherwise, why release this firmware if there may be a new one next week?

I know there are no clear cut answers here, but one thing is for sure: the suspense is driving me insane. Gimme Adium!

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

well 1.1.4 hasnt really broken current jailbreak methods, just means you've got to do it again. I think that the whole OS has been optimized in this update. Everything just seems more responsive. As for application support, who knows...

3. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

It either means that the SDK release is imminent...

Or that the SDK release has been delayed and they just punted out this update to patch a few things that could not wait.

:D

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

any of the updates could be drawn to one of those 2 conclusions ....

5. MyNewSolstice macrumors newbie

March 6th SDK anwsers all about the 1.1.4 update

6. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

i was on the phone yesterday with apple because my phone wasnt accepting the new update. would just keep going into recovery mode. i thought i bricked it somehow even though im not jailbroken. so i talked to him and started askign questions. like is the sdk going to be released soon? is this software update preparing the phone for the sdk? how exactly are the programs going to be put on?

he was really cool in saying that its was going to be early march and that this update was just a bug fix. they are going to send out another update to allow programs on to the phone. i didnt understand if they are just going to release softeare again this soon that they should have just waited. but i dont know take that for what its worth.

then he said hes was going to email me the link to the page that had all the info about it, but i havent seen anythign yet. ill post it if i get it.

7. kane4fire macrumors member

The reason why they aren't releasing the SDK yet is because they haven't finished upgrading and configuring their servers for the new application submission and iTunes applications pricing yet. They are needing to make many new catagories and also trying to standardize pricing.

I say give a few more weeks for things that most other non-revolutionary phones have had since 99.

8. kane4fire macrumors member

Do tell me, why would they release such a minor and useless update that costs them a lot of money in bandwidth and risk to release one in just a week or two?

I think what the guy told you and what the release was made for was strictly to keep people calm and not ask questions. Since no one really knows what's new with this update (most of the speculations were not true with my phone other than SMS and maybe safari being faster), people are going to squabble about it for days until the March 6 announcement.

9. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Just wondering out loud here but as a developer, the SDK helps me build an application by showing me code examples and documentation on how to interface/install. Has nothing to do with a firmware releases.

I think what we want is a 2.0 release to see the ability to add applications without a jailbreak. These .0 releases are nothing more than tweaks, minor configurations for more carriers, etc.

I could be wrong though...

10. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Or it means that the SDK isn't going to come out for a long time so they got the bugs out of the way instead of making us wait for however long it's going to be for the SDK to fix the bugs.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

And you know this how? :rolleyes:

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It wasn't a minor and useless update for those who had bugs after the 1.1.3 uupdate that 1.1.4 now fixed.

One of those bugs was in pairing up my Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS. The handsfree worked perfectly untill the upgrade to 1.1.3. The upgrade broke it, it would disconnect every minute or so then reconnect. 1.1.4 has now fixed that for me and I can now make and take calls from with my GPS paired to my iPhone once again.

Others have had their bluetooth pairing problems also resolved.

So it was not a worthless update, it fixed allot of problems that many people were having. There was a huge thread on the Garmin pairing problem on the Apple forums.