Sdk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Jan 16, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Can someone explain to me exactly how the SDK will work. Will it be an iTunes update like normal? Do we think it'll cost money? It is just a download that grants access to applications?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to all this Mac stuff...

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

SDK (software development kit) i think. Third parties will make apps that work natively on the phone, and will probably be watermarked (or whatever the term is) signed? by whoever made the app so that if something happens they know who to blame. I am almost 100% sure they will charge for it (like they did with the ipod touch apps?) but it would be great if it was free. It will be through itunes almost definatly, much like ipod games maybe. Or maybe like widgets and then through itunes.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm pretty sure 90% of apps are going to be free. I'm also pretty sure Apple will use something like Nokia's system, but won't, if that makes sense?

They will figure some "revolutionary" way to do all of it.

But i stand by my word that most apps will be free.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The SDK will almost certainly become available for download on the Apple Developer Connection website.

Hopefully it won't require one of the more costly developer memberships. Best would be free, of course.

No one knows yet whether or not developers will have to pay for signing tools or certificates. No one knows if apps will only be allowed via iTunes, although it seems likely.

The only thing an end user will have to do, is perhaps get an update about the same time, assuming Apple rewrites everything to allow signing, sandboxing, running not as root, or whatever it takes in their minds to be secure enough.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm starting to think that this SDK will be available free, to everyone. Job's sure has made it sound like it's for everyone when he says SDK. He's not all like "People will be able to get Apps via the SDK that developers use. He say it like everyone will be able to download it free, etc.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I sure hope your right. I would like to eat my words thatyoull have to pay. Maybe it will be liked widgets. That's what I'm hoping. All free and easy to find and install.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The SDK itself could very well be free.

But security certificates, if they use them like everyone else, almost certainly wouldn't be. Although they might not be expensive either. As I said, Blackberry now only charges $20 for them (down from $100).

8. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure the apps will be downloaded through iTunes and we'll have to pay via an iTunes account, though the price could be nothing. I think the developers will probably set the prices of their apps (to a point).

9. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

So no one really knows what's going to happen then? All of this SDK talk is everywhere, and no one knows what or how it's going to affect our phones.