Sdk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by insocal, Feb 26, 2008.

1. insocal macrumors regular

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but when the SDK is released, does that mean some programs or new things will be immediately available for download from iTunes? Or is it just a Kit for people to START making things to be approved by APPLE and then downloaded? I'm just confused because I keep hearing people writing that some people already have the SDK and have been working on things and other people are SO EXCITED for it but they can't all be developers...
    Thanks!

2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

It is 'just a kit' for people to start making things as you said, but it has been reported that some developers have had advanced access to the SDK.

This leads us to believe there will be a couple of apps ready from release day, and I'm sure this will be done in order to show consumers and developers how the system will work.

3. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Yep, and hopefully we'll see this by the end of the day, although the more and more time passing the less optimistic I'm getting!

4. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated! And thanks for not ripping on me.
    :)

5. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Pleasure, and it was a fair question –*there is so much mixed information going on around these forums regarding the SDK it does get very confusing.

6. wchong macrumors 6502

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Good question. I guess we'll find out when they release it. Maybe they'll require a registration as a developer first, who knows.

8. wchong macrumors 6502

hmm another way that apple is going to take our money away during this recession.

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

How much does it cost to register as a developer?

10. wchong macrumors 6502

if it's ADC he's referring to then it's about $100 per year as a student.

11. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

ADC is free for an online-only membership. All the other SDKs that Apple offers are freely available online. I'd say it probably won't cost anything to download.

See http://developer.apple.com/products/

Whether or not it will cost anything to distribute apps is another question that nobody has an answer to yet.

12. wchong macrumors 6502

this may be off-topic, but do u knwo if that online-only membership gives me a 20% discount in any apple hardware? that'd be nice for the new MBPs. that's a $559.80 discount in the high-end mbp

13. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but I'd have to guess that it would be highly unlikely.

14. robhedin macrumors regular

No--- hardware discounts are not available for on-line members; you can join the "Select" for $500 and get a discount, if you like, however-- see http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html for details on how the hardware discount works.

rob.

15. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

ADC discount doesn't look as thought it is much better than regular academic discount.

16. wchong macrumors 6502

r u kidding?

mbp 17" = 2,239.00 with adc
    bmp17" = 2,799.00 without

you could sign up with ADC as a student for $100 a year instead of the regular $500.00. of course you have to be a student :D

17. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I guess my math was a bit fuzzy. Sorry, dealing with a nasty sinus headache right now. :(

I am a student, so it works out either way. If I were going to use ADC, it'd be on a Mac Pro though. Might as well go for the throat, no? ;)

18. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I am still holding on to hope for today too. If there haven't been any announcements by 2 or so Pacific time, I think we will be out of luck for today. There is still the rest of the week though or until Apple releases some official statement. If it is delayed it would be strange for Apple to not release some type of statement or something.