SDXC 2TB sd card? anyone know more

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RubbishBBspeed, May 6, 2010.

1. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

went through the sdcard association site earlier, they have something about a 2TB SD Card. Can anyone elaborate.

First; I'm assuming that if and when it exists it will be like an other SD card and therefore work with a macbook pro.

Second; if it does work then are the days of the SSD over. Or at least launched into hyoer-drive mode and we'll start to see 500TB SSD.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Currently, OS X does NOT support SDXC, but that could change with the next laptops.

3. yliu macrumors regular

New iMacs already support SDXC. I'm wondering how much would it cost, if a 64GB SDXC cost 350 bucks.
    Hope to see 2TB iPod touch soon:) that would be cool.
    and I would just plug a 2TB sdxc into my iMac to replace my big bulky harddrive.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Please note the date of the post prior to yours, as they've had time to get the support out in an Update since then (became available with 10.6.4). ;)

But not a bad idea to post, as some users may have use for this capability. :)

5. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

Is any one aware of any specific concerns associated with SD cards and there use as storage drives.

I'm assuming that in most applications like cameras, camcorders & or car media players and devices like that, that the data transfer is quite constant and at a reasonably controlled transfer rate.

In short, are SD cards capable of handling the workloads transfer rate of large files on a day to day basis if used as a hard disk, my thinking is they would soon break under the strain. but I'd like to think i'm wrong.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's slow (single channel), unlike an SSD, which uses a multi-channel controller to speed things up via parallelism. But as it uses the same Flash technology as SSD's without wear leveling, the cells will die faster (1E4 write cycle limit specification for MLC). So it's not so good for that kind of usage.

But the concept would work (I know it's possible in Windows, just as it is with a USB stick). But I've not put in the research to know for sure if OS X supports this or not.

Ultimately though, I'd skip it.