SDXC Boot Windows 8.1 on rMBP 13, late 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdock1234, Jul 20, 2015.

1. murdock1234 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got my new Retina Macbook Pro 13, but with only 128 GB SSD. So I decided to put Windows 8.1 on a 64 GB SDXC card (PNY StorEdge) . I don't need Windows very often, so the speed is ok for me.

The thing is, to have a full working Windows 8.1 to go, you need to format the SDXC Card using NTFS. But then the rMBP doesn't see the SDXC Card as a boot device (pressing ALT during boot).

Only if I format the SDXC Card with exfat or FAT32, then I can see the SDXC card during boot. The problem is, that Windows 8.1 does not install correctly or does not boot from FAT32 or exfat.

If I insert the SDXC card (using VHD and NTFS), I can boot Windows 8.1 on my DELL notebook without any issue, so the card is fine.

How can I tell my rMBP to boot from an external NTFS drive?

Thanks!

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Download VirtualBox (it's free) and install Windows as a VM, then move the Windows file to an external drive. That way you save space on your internal SSD. Just make sure to have your external plugged in before running VB.

3. murdock1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, I have VMWare Fusion. But I like to use it the other way ;-)

Is this possible or not?

4. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I have read that it is possible, but you will need to jump through a number of hoops to get it working. Then the fun begins of activating that instance of Windows.

I can see where it is useful though. Some multiplayer games will permaban you if they sense they are running in a VM.

5. murdock1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any links? I would like check it :)

Thanks