SDXC card on MBP 2010 and possible workarounds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pablo90, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Pablo90, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

Pablo90 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I have a MBP mid-2010 13" with the basic configuration.

I recently upgraded it a bit, since I found some interesting deals. I switched to 8gb of memory, added a 128gb SSD and removed the cd slot to add my 640gb HDD.

My MBP is faster than ever for everything I need, but the HDD is starting to heat quite too much in there.

So I was thinking of removing it and just buying an SXDC card of 128gb or 256gb (still not sure, it depends if I find a good deal).

Main problem: I read somewhere that my MBP does not support SXDC. Is that true?
    Is that something that is not supposed to work but still does? Like 16gb of ram not being supported but actually working solely on the 13 inches model of the MBP from 2010?

I also read about people purchasing a microSD to SHDC adapter (http://www.amazon.it/Nifty-MD3-RP-P...F8&refRID=1YDV676GA926D894PB5R#productDetails), but I'm not sure if that's a good idea in terms of speed.
    Opinions?

Moreover, I don't want to spend money purchasing a SHDC card because in a few months I'll probably buy the new retina macbook pro, which is compatible with (and suited for) an SXDC. In fact, I'll probably purchase the entry model with only 128gb of space and then combine that with a 128gb SDXC, which is enough and quite cheap (with USD 50-60 I can buy a brand name SXDC of class 10).

So basically my questions are: Is my current MBP compatible with the 128gb SXDC?
    Is the Nifty adapter a solution that I can also use for the new retina MBP in a few months, without compromising speed (compared to a SDXC)?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies.

P.B.

EDIT: I found a DMSD PNY StoreEdge 128gb that comes in at around $ 60 which apparently is compatible with the mid 2010 MBP. Any experience?
    Here is the link listing the MBP as compatible, even if this is more expensive than on other websites:
    http://www.microspot.ch/msp/de/spei...e-128-gb-fuer--0000773808?selectedLanguage=fr

I read on a British website that it reads at 60-80 mb/s (according to benchmarks, not the manufacturer's specs). Is that a good speed? Still faster than my HDD, right?

EDIT 2: On amazon they say "According to Aja System Test it is 28.8 MB/s write and 86.7 MB/s read"

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Slower than your HDD.... which should come in around 120MB/S read/write.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Even if the sd card worked, you are limited by an sd card reader plugged into an internal usb 2.0 port. So, 25mb/s at best. I think you are better off replacing the hard drive with a cheap 128gb ssd.

4. Pablo90 thread starter macrumors member

Bummers...

What about the same SDXC on the new MBP (with a USB 3 I guess). In that case would that be fast enough?

I would need it to store movies and some PSD (for photoshop), store the iTunes library, etc.

It could be a temporary solution until I get the new rMBP, while still being able to use it in the new model as well.

The problem with a second SSD is that it will still heat the computer like the current HDD, or just a bit less.
    And then when I buy the new mbp, I won't be able to install it because there is no space... And I would have to make an external drive out of it, which is of course less practical than a SDXc

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What do you mean about the hard drive heating up?? They don't really get that hot and they don't change over time. If your mac is heating up it is vastly unlikely to be the hard drive.

6. Pablo90 thread starter macrumors member

Well it becomes impossibly hot and that's in the area where the SSD and HDD are.
    Moreover, I never had this problem before (a bit warm yes, but never this much).

My keyboard key are all worn out and I bought some stickers to cover them. Worked fine for a long time, after I added the second HDD some of those key stickers melted... They lost color, detached from the keys etc.
    Those are the keys in the top left corner.

The letter T -the actual key- broke (the "wing mechanism" in plastic)... Probably it's not because of that, but you know...

The MBP never rebooted or anything so it's rather fine, otherwise I think it would turn itself off to avoid overheating.
    But I swear sometimes you can't touch it.

And I've read some time ago of people reporting melted wires due to the extreme heat cause by a second HDD.