SDXC - Extra storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ohrstrom, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Is the SDXC fast enough to work as a reasonable extra storage drive? Compared to USB/FW/etc how fast/slow is it?

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

This is what I would like to know as well any one with knowledge?

3. PAPO macrumors 6502

you can get some pretty fasd SD cards not, but I don't know if any of the current macs support the UHS-1 speed (the fastest cards atm are about 95MB/s)

4. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

abot fw 800 teoretical then.. which is reasonable for stuff you dont have to access constantly I guess. :)

5. PAPO macrumors 6502

if you don't need to keep it with you go with a FW external, or even Thunderbolt if you have a newer MBP (but they tend to be a bit pricey) but FW should do the job, much faster than USB

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Whilst 95mb/sec might not seem any faster than a firewire drive, don't forget that flash memory has zero seek time.

it will be able to do close to that 95mb/sec whether or not it is streaming one big file, or seeking all over the disk for multiple concurrent disk accesses by several apps at the same time.

absolute worst case (under random 4k reads), a mechanical 7200rpm SATA disk may only get 300 kilobytes per second or so due to waiting for the head to reposition.

real world usage on a multi-tasking OS is generally somewhere between the two cases above.

7. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I have a 500Gb FW800 drive, Im looking for a max storage option that sticks to the computer without wires and other things that make it a disturbance.

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

SD cards are really slow...if you go up the ladder to the fastest ones, they are fairly expensive. Also reliability is an issue as well.

Your best bet is another drive in the DVD slot.

9. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

If there will be one ;)

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

:confused:

11. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Im getting the coming 15", Im looking into all Internal (more or less internal) storage options as I do not know yet what I will have to settle for when it does arrive.

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Oh.

You're just guessing then :)

13. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Ah yes, hehe, my wink was "as we do not yet know", not "i know something you dont, moahahaha" :D

14. pposthoorn macrumors member

I just ran a fast test with a SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 95MB/s card in my Macbook Pro 15" mid 2009 and it does around 20MB/s read and 18.5MB/s write.

Think my cardreader integrated in the macbook is the bottleneck...

15. PAPO macrumors 6502

that's what I was worried about before, I didn't think that the MBPs supported the UHS-1 speeds

16. aaron580 macrumors member

SD storage would be nice but since it sticks out so far and if I use an SD card I want it in 24/7 it makes it difficult. Would be a good idea if this wasnt an issue.

17. jgc macrumors regular

Would be nice if a few more people with experience weighed in on this. I want to get a MBA 13 when the new ones come out but 128 gb is a little small and 256 gb is expensive and I don't need that much space. An SDXC card from eBay like this costs C$45.95 and gives 64 gb storage. Enough to put all my music and some movies on and leave the SSD plenty of space for apps/documents etc. Unfortunately there's no transfer speeds posted but I assume for stuff like that it would be quick enough. Again though it would be nice to hear from someone who had done this successfully.

I do have an external desktop HDD to house backups and most of my videos but I would like the SD card for all my music/some videos and to be able to take it anywhere.

18. MrCaff macrumors newbie

I use a Lexar 128GB SDXC card to house my iTunes library and I've never had any stuttering or reading problems. TBH it's pretty freaking awesome! That and I can take my library elsewhere :D.

19. JonLa macrumors 6502

20. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've got a pair of daisy chained FW800 drives which I use for additional storage. I run VMs off of them and the performance is quite good.

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

22. PAPO macrumors 6502

but if USB3 is anything like USB2 it won't achieve anywhere near the speed it promises, if your going to use an cutting edge technology for an external just get Thunderbolt and be done with it, in fact I think my Little big disk is faster than my internal HDD (I really need an SSD but they don't make anything bigger than 512 GB yet)