SDXC for mac storage, HFS+ or exFAT?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by C4FF, Jun 30, 2012.

1. C4FF macrumors member

Hi all, I have an SDXC card that I use for my mac. I don't use it in any cameras or anything it is literally just an extra 128GB of storage I can pop out and into other macs if need be.

It's a Lexar Professional 128GB Class 10 400x speed UHS-I SDXC card. Click me!

My question is, If I wanted to use it for small read/writes; say, torrents and iTunes, would I be better off using HFS+ or exFAT?

When I ask this I mean consistent speed, reliability, performance. If no one knows then please point me in the direction of a mac program that I can use to benchmark. Thanks!

2. anc1en7z macrumors newbie

It depends on what you're using it for. If you have other Windows PC's around your household, or you intend to use the SD card on Windows PC's, go for exFAT. If you're using the SD card exclusively on Mac's, then go for HFS+.
    There would be little to no speed difference between the two formats.

3. Skulltrail macrumors newbie

Skulltrail

I say go with exFAT. More compatibility. If you ever need to move some photos from the SDXC onto a windows PC, you can do so. There are no real benefits to using HFS over exFAT in this case.