Sdxc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fredridge, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Fredridge macrumors newbie

To start, I don't know a whole lot about specs, speeds etc. But the rumors had me thinking.

Could the SDXC slot be used for the operating system as was rumored apple was going to do internally?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They could put the OS on a SD card I would think. That actually doesn't sound like too terrible of an idea.

3. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

You could do it but I think it could be laggy. Give it a shot, see how it runs, and report back.

4. Fredridge thread starter macrumors newbie

may try it when I have mine, but probably be another week or two.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think I misunderstood. I thought you meant for distribution. It would be pretty slow if you used a SDXC card as your boot drive.

6. Fredridge thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, not worth trying then

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I was interested, and so did a little bit of research. It seems the SDXC cards (or at least one I was able to find) have transfer speeds of 15MB/s. In comparison, A USB 2 external disk drive will have a transfer speed of around 35MB/s, and FW 800 about double that again.

8. big_malk macrumors 6502a

According to the SD card people, SDXC has speed of 104MB/s (with a big B) http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc, and reaching up to 300MB/s. My brand new MBP had a maximum disk speed of 34 MB/s according to xbench.

It sounds like running OS X from the SDXC card could be up to three time faster than from the internal HD?

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'd be very surprised if that speed was found on anything but super expensive cards, or as a theoretical speed. Can't hurt to try though.. but prepare for disapointment.

10. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I'd really like to try it, but I've no other use for the card if it doesn't work, and buying a really expensive one just to try it doesn't sound too good!
    The HD is definitely the weak point in the speed of the new MBPs though.