SE/30 CRT only wanted

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by NEOband, Jan 1, 2015.

1. NEOband macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a se/30 with a busted CRT. Was broken during transit.

Anyone got one for sale or know if a CRT off a different model will fit.

Thanks

2. MacTech68, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Knowing your location might be helpful so forum members who are nearby can donate/sell you a tube.

I can tell you that any SE or SE FDHD CRT will work, but would advise keeping the yoke with it's original CRT. Of course, you'll need to perform screen and video geometry adjustments after fitting.

I'm uncertain about using CRTs from other compact macs. The 128 512 and plus screens MIGHT be suitable, but I'm not CERTAIN about that. I believe that the Classic and Classic II tubes differ slightly.

EDIT: according to this thread over at 68KMLA, the 128, 512 and Plus do use the same type of tube, so based on that, they should be fine. I'd still avoid the Classic & Classic II

https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/460-the-compact-mac-crt-guide/

3. NEOband thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for your great reply. I am in Northern Ireland UK.

I will continue my search and hope a tube becomes available. If anyone knows of a tubes availability I would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks

4. tdiaz macrumors 6502

I've even put the green CRT from a Monitor //c in a compact Mac, with the same result of picture, though green, of course.

If you come across a 9" B&W monitor/TV of any sort, there's a good chance the CRT is the same type. As mentioned, you want to keep the yoke with the tube, though making the adjustments on a B&W isn't nearly as time consuming as a color setup. There's the slight chance that the connector will not be the same, but of all the times I've sourced CRTs to fix Macs, from non-Apple equipment/sources, I think I had to change the connector a couple times out of probably hundreds over the years.

5. MacTech68, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Flying off on a tangent, I always liked the purple/violet mono screens. Very rare. I think I only saw them as an option on Wyse-50 terminals.

6. tdiaz macrumors 6502

There was an option for the Monitor /// in amber or violet. I've got 1 and 2 of them, respectively. The violet ones also tended to have a different colored inner bezel, set as the brown color of the keycaps on the /// Plus, instead of the dark green from the metal part of the chassis.

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Pics of the violet one working, please? I found it hard to find any on google images. :(

8. miniMOJOman macrumors newbie

I've got one for sale, I cant test them, but was told they work. I can take pictures of them tomorrow if you would be interested. No idea how to ship them or even how much it would cost.