SE bands confusing the hell outta me...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by renee_yuh, Jun 4, 2016.

1. renee_yuh Suspended

So, I wanna buy the SE for my partner.

However, the LTE bands page on Apple's website make no sense to me, since they're categorized obtusely.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

Is the "SIM-free" model the iPhone that supports the LTE bands in Spain?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A1723 is compatible with all 4 of Spain's bands.

The u.s model a1662 still covers 3 out of 4.

4. renee_yuh thread starter Suspended

But is that the "SIM-free" model? On the order page on Apple.com there's no model number like that!
    But is that the "SIM-free" model? On the order page on Apple.com there's no model number like that!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The SIM-free model is the AT&T and Verizon model that lacks support for all LTE bands used in Spain. You need to buy the Sprint model as it is the only one with support for all Spain's LTE bands.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What country are you in now?

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Let's assume you bought it at full MSRP... does the Sprint version actually come unlocked for international use out of the box? Or do you have to have an account with Sprint for a certain number of days before they will unlock it?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not unlocked and based on the criteria here, it seems that you have to be a Sprint customer for at least 90 days before Sprint is willing to unlock it. Of course, you could contact Sprint and explain the situation to see if they can unlock it earlier.

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Not sure about buying online, but if you buy a Sprint iPhone SE from the Apple Store at full price, the phone is unlocked.

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

But doesn't that mean the Sprint phone is also unlocked if you buy it on a payment plan at the Apple Store? Unless they have two different versions of that model -- one for full price sales, and one for installment buys, how would this work?

I mean I gues it could be in the activation of the phone, and at the Sprint store they're not going to let you walk out without activating it?

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you buy it on a payment plan through Apple (not Sprint) then as far as Sprint is concerned, the phone is paid off. So yeah, it's unlocked.

12. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I don't think Apple offers their payment plan for the SE, only the 6 & 6s? As far as I know the only payment plan available through Apple for the SE is the carrier plan.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

They have a different plan available for the SE. AppleCare+ isn't included in this plan, so it's only the exact cost of the iPhone spread out over 24 months. You may have seen their trade ins advertised with it where, for example, you can trade in an iPhone 5s and get the iPhone SE for $10/month.

Citizens finances it, so the carrier just sees it as paid off. You don't own the carrier or Apple any money.

14. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Interesting. It wasn't explained that way to me at the Apple Store. So any Sprint iPhone will be unlocked from the Apple Store since there's no way to pay for it where Sprint is involved?

So theoretically that would be true if you bought the phone at Sprint too and paid for it in full, and walked out with it without letting them activate it -- assuming that's possible?

15. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I think it would be more problematic doing the latter...you might have to wait X number of days.

On a side question- does Apple sell the Sprint specific model (which is not the same as the SIM-free model) or do you have to go to a bestbuy or sprint store?

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Any payment plan you get from Apple that isn't through a carrier will come with an unlocked iPhone.

If you buy it from Sprint, even full price, it might still be locked.

Yes. You can buy Sprint iPhones off contract from the Apple Store.

17. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Thx

18. akash.nu macrumors 68000

akash.nu

I don't understand why can't you just walk into an Apple Store and ask if it will work?!

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Right, but this is why I'm confused. Unless there are two different models of the Sprint phone, how can the same model be unlocked when paid in full and not used on Sprint network, and locked if paid in full at a Sprint store and not used on a Sprint network?

20. itsray macrumors 6502

i'd get a verizon or at&t phone at full price for an unlocked phone. sprint phones are weird. its been that way for a while.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2016 ---
    because apple employees aren't fully versed on the exact reasons why a sprint full price phone wont work with certain networks. the verizon and at&t/tmobile phones are fine though. sprint is just weird like i said before

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Because a network lock is not dependent on the model number. Any phone can be locked, but Apple doesn't lock the phone when you pay full price or finance it through Citizens.

Look at it like this. There is only one model that's sold for Sprint. You can ask an Apple employee for a Sprint iPhone. They grab one. You can either pay full price and it will be unlocked, or you can finance the same phone through Sprint and it will be locked.

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Know though that getting anything but the sprint specific phone will result in a sub-optimal experience.

23. itsray macrumors 6502

no its just the bands

24. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It all depends on what you want the phone for. Since OP specifically mentioned the iPhone SE, we'll stick with using that as an example.

If you're on Sprint and don't plan on ever using this phone on Verizon, it obviously makes sense to get the Sprint iPhone SE. It's the only model with band 41, which is used for LTE Plus (Sprint Spark).

If you're on AT&T or T-Mobile and travel outside the country a lot, it also makes sense to get the Sprint iPhone SE. The Sprint model has all the bands currently used by T-Mobile and AT&T, except band 30 which isn't on the AT&T model either. It also lacks band 29, which the AT&T model does have, but AT&T hasn't even started deploying it yet.

But if you're on Verizon or ever plan on using it on Verizon, definitely stay away from the Sprint iPhone SE. The Sprint model lacks band 13 which is crucial for coverage on Verizon.

25. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

So you would get anything but the sprint model.

Me...If I used sprint, I would want the sprint model.