SE waterproof case that is easy to put on/off

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Phat Ham, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Phat Ham macrumors member

I'm looking for a waterproof case that is easy to take on and put off for my SE. I've never used a case for any of my phones, but I want a case specifically for when I go on bike rides. Every once in a while I get caught out in the rain and I also sweat a lot so I want to protect my phone when I'm on my bike. So far I've been using a ziplock bag which actually works surprisingly well. Touch ID even works through a ziplock bag. But it's also kind of a hack and the quart size ziplock bags are a lot bigger than they need to be so I end up fumbling around with it a lot.

Anyway, do any of you guys have a recommendation for a waterproof case that is designed to be easy on/off? The Otterbox Armor from a few years ago is only $20 on amazon and it'll get the job done, but it doesn't work with touch ID and I think the camera might not line up right. I don't need access to any of the ports, volume buttons or the vibrate switch while I'm on the bike, but I do sometimes stop to take pictures. I can live without touch ID but it would be nice to have.

2. Paco II macrumors 65816

The 'hard' waterproof cases are typically not designed to be constantly opened. Consider one of those generic device specific 'ziploc' style bags.

3. meson macrumors regular

I picked up a Lifeproof Fre on eBay for ~$35. I put it on yesterday when it showed up, and I'm happy with it. Touch id works well, and you can pop it off using a coin in a few seconds. I don't know how often I would take it on and off because I don't know how much abuse the silicone seals can take.

4. Phat Ham thread starter macrumors member

I looked at the Fre but didn't like how you need a tool to remove it. More importantly, it relies on a press fit closure instead of a clamp like the Otterbox Armor. Like you I'm worried it will wear out if I'm constantly taking it on and off.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The due to the nature of waterproof cases and their design, I've yet to see one that's easily removable. The very features that make it easily removable make water more likely to enter.

Maybe there's a market niche here that needs filling?