Sea Change... leaving a G5, but for what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blkraemer, Nov 19, 2009.

1. blkraemer macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is rambling... I have lots of options, need some feedback.

Here is the situation... I just decommissioned my PPC G5 that I used for editing video and VFX as a freelancer. I now have a full time gig with access to Intel based PowerMac gear at work. Mostly at home I just do light computing. So, I need a new computer, right?

Also... my wife has a 15" MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz, 1 GB RAM) that she thinks is the nicest computer she has ever owned. Mostly her needs are for very light computing as well, but she want's to learn AutoCAD (running on Parallels) at home, and her system seems a little under powered for this. I could add more RAM and that might help. I have a 23" Cinema Display she can use for better viewing.

We also have an Airport Extreme Base Station and a 1 TB Lacie drive that we network off the Airport for our iTunes music library.

So, right now I am using her computer (dual login) and enjoying the mobile aspect. But we need to get a second machine. We have options, too many of them. I have considered getting myself a new iMac, a MacBook Pro, and AirBook, I have considered getting a Mac Mini, getting a Mac Mini Server and a AirBook. I have considered using the MacBook Pro we already own and getting my wife a new MacBookPro, or an iMac, but I think she might miss the mobile aspect. She says she doesn't care, I should make the decision.

We also want to be able to add speakers to our kitchen for AirTunes, but we don't want to have to use a laptop to control them, might want to see if an iPod Touch can share a library and go that route, not sure if that works.

I have also considered hosting my own email with the mini server, getting a static IP address and canceling my hosting services. We also thought about getting a Mini and using it as a media server connected to a HDMI tv. OPTIONS!!!!

So, I am not made of money... would like someones advice.

Thanks in advance,
    Crazy with Options.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I will say this: you are going to want to keep it to two machines and a server if that, no reason to have any more then that. I'd say you are going to want the power, so maybe just a new MacBook Pro?

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

cant answer all of that, but

i wouldnt drop your hosting service.

$5 a month for hosting is worth every penny in my book

4. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Sell them all, move to the hills, and use a paper and pencil.

5. blkraemer thread starter macrumors newbie

You might be right about the power. Would an Airbook be under powered for working with Aperture? For hooking up to a 23" Cinema Display and working at higher resolutions?

The AirBook has always appealed to me in terms of portability and simplicity, but for the money, I see more value in an iMac. These are of course very different computers. Perhaps another MacBook Pro is a logical compromise?

Knowing me I will want to go with the 15" so I can get the anti-glare option.

6. blkraemer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't disagree. However I hate my current service (Register.com) their webmail is awful and they can't seem to support me with IMAP email. I have two domains to serve email to, one website. I used to use Pair networks (pair.net) and their service was better but it cost +$20/mo.

Do you have any recommendations? Any luck with good IMAP service?

7. blkraemer thread starter macrumors newbie

Been there, done that. (seriously. I lived in a teepee once.)

Now, anyone have some computer advice?