Seagate 320GB Hard Drive - does yours 'beep' ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msmth928, Jun 7, 2009.

1. msmth928 macrumors regular

I upgraded the drive in my MBP to a seagate 7200rpm 320GB disk, but it beeps every few seconds and I can hear the fans on almost all the time.

My left/right fans are showing as 2001rpm
    My CPU temp is 55
    My hard disk temp is 33

Does anyone else's drive beep? Anyone else got a seagate - how do you find it?

What are everyone else's temps and fan speeds?

2. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Yes, mine beeps too. In my case it's not a failing hard drive noise (and god knows I've heard my fair share of those! :) ) but the sound of the drive heads parking as can be confirmed by installing and configuring hdapm (http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/) to stop the drive powering down. I used hdapm for a bit, but now I'm happy that it isn't a "problem" noise I no longer use it and have just learned to ignore it. It is a bit annoying though.

I don't hear the fans though, unless I'm running at full CPU for some time. Your temps seem fine, so I wouldn't worry. I idle at around 41C and hit 75C and above at full tilt.

3. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info!

So does this mean it's a hard drive 'fault'? It's brand new so I could send it back for a replacement - if I do that should I get a different brand because the 'beep' is part and parcel of these seagate drives?

If so which drives are recommended for the mbps?

4. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update to say I got through to seagates chat support and they told me it is an early indication of drive failure and I should send it back. They gave me an RMA thingy, but I'm gonna send it back for a refund instead.