Seagate Backup Plus Desktop vs 2012 MBA

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tryst3, Jun 22, 2012.

1. tryst3 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Seagate Backup Plus w/ USB 3.0 Desktop Adapter for my new 2012 11" MBA. But I am having issues detecting this drive with my MBA. The drive spins but neither Finder nor Disk Utilities can see it. If I plug the drive into a Windows PC it can detect it. So the Tech Support at Seagate said that it should be operational as evidenced by Windows being able to detect the drive.

I decided to try plugging this in a few more times and finally my Mac recognized the drive. I formatted it and backed up my system via Time Machine. The next time I booted up the drive was once again missing. I unplugged the USB 3.0 cable from the drive several times and reattached it and it eventually detected the drive. Has anyone found a solution to this, because playing around w/ the cable and hoping for the best does not seem like a sound solution.

I have read on the Seagate forums that the issue exists, but there is little support and no solution. As far as why I chose this device, I was hoping to upgrade to thunderbolt sometime in the future, and I had read reviews that WD My Books had poor build quality. However, my My Passport is amazing and it is making me reconsider. Thanks in advance!

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I read a review on bestbuy's site where the best solution that a Mac user could find was to buy the FireWire adaptor which of course won't work for your MBA, at least until Apple ships the thunderbolt/FireWire adaptor in July.

I don't really have a preference for WD or Seagate, I've had one of each fail out of 20+ drives. They both put bloatware utilities on the drives.

The fact that many of these manufacturers has been reducing their warranties to 1 year means that they have less confidence in the quality of their drives and they don't want the financial burden of replacing faulty drives after the minimal legally allowed warranty.

Backup your Backup ;)