Seagate backup plus & Mac pro a bad mix?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrLemur, Jul 24, 2014.

1. DrLemur macrumors member

I'm using a 1TB seagate backup plus external drive with my Mac Pro (2013) and it mounts fine yet refuses to read/write anything to it. (I have it formatted in ExFAT.) The weird thing is when I plug it into my USB 2 thunderbolt screen it works fine under both mac OS and Windows 8.1 using bootcamp. I can't for the life of me figure out why it won't work when plugged into the mac pro. I've looked for drivers finding none. I'd obviously prefer it connected as USB 3 than USB 2 so this is a big issue for me. If anyone has had the same issue with these or any other drives or has any idea of something else to try please let me know.

2. ColdCase, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I Dunno but I have two Backup Plus 4TB drives connected to my 2014 rMBP (USB3) without issue. One was formatted with Mac OS Extended and the other I left as NTFS and installed the Seagate NTFS driver package to read/write seagate drives formatted with NTFS (only works for seagate NTFS drives).

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have zero problem with two Seagate external hard drives. One for Time Machine and other one for iTunes with wireless streaming. :apple:

4. DrLemur thread starter macrumors member

Well see my problem seems to be when I install the software meant for the external then all of a sudden it works on my USB 3 connection on the Mac Pro but the clincher is then all of a sudden the time machine backups don't work.. it just goes to "preparing to backup" message infinitely. But when I remove the software and run it through the USB 2 thunderbolt screen all is well all around. Just makes no sense to me at all.

5. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

From my experience, you want to format it as mac os extended journaled. Using the same file system to use between windows and mac is just asking for data loss. There will be times where your drive will not mount for no reason and you'll lose all your data.

What I would do is partition the drive, one journaled and the other NTFS. Ditch any 3rd party software.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Well, for Time Machine to work the drive volume you've chosen to backup to must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Why are you installing software for ExFAT? You only need the software install if you are doing NTFS.

Or are you trying to use the Seagate backup software? I think I've read that does not work well on a mac, if at all.