Seagate Barracuda 2Tb Upgrade (Grumbling Noise?)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fuchsi, Jan 16, 2011.

1. fuchsi macrumors member

Hey there forum,
    sadly im one of the many people who got the Imac 2010 with the 1Tb SG Barracuda featuring the loud grumbling noise.
    I have the feeling that's it's getting even louder with time...
    I read about the issue with the inside sensor meaning i have to stick with Seagate (thanks alot mr. Jobs) http://blog.macsales.com/2751-proprietary-cable-can-put-the-brakes-on-upgrading-late-09-imacs

Now to my question, has anyone encountered an improvement (less grumbling noise) when upgrading to other SG HDD's?

Cheers

2. product26, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

It is unlikely that you will find a quieter seagate. I swapped my 1tb seagate with a western digital caviar black. I simply purchased the appropriate sensor cable and swapped it when swapping the drive.

http://www.applecomponents.com/item...-western/0000004396?pn=1&cmp=0172&per_page=30

$20 is way too much for the cable, but a quieter hard drive is well worth it. You must enable AAM on a western digital drive to quiet it. My caviar black was just about as loud as the seagate before AAM. AAM cannot be enabled on seagate drives, otherwise you would be able to quiet just like the WD drive.
    H

I booted in to Windows 7 and ran a program called "HDDScan" this allowed me to select the "quiet" AAM setting which almost completely silenced my drive.

I also ran a program to disable head parking on the drive to hopefully extend the life a bit.

3. fuchsi thread starter macrumors member

Wait i thought since the newer HDD (in the 2010 imacs) have an internal sensor it's pointless to try and use that cable?

On another note i've heard about enabling the AAM but that comes with an actual performance loss!
    I read a long blog about it somewhere...will try to find the link again