Seagate Barracuda SATA and 10.5.7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Raw-m, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Raw-m macrumors newbie

Is anyone having trouble with the above drive since the update?

I'm using it (Barracuda 7200.11 - 1TB) to house my home directory on my MacPro 2008, in one of the Internal Bays. Since the update I'm having trouble with folders and files going missing, countless freezes, preferences going missing, Time Machine dying.... it's practically crippled my Mac. A couple of times on restart it's failed to see the HD with the home directory on it, so, power down... restart... and everything has magically returned to normal.

The occasions it has worked I've checked out it's status using TechTool Pro 5 and it says everything is fine. 2 mins later - freeze.... restart.... I've tried the combo install. No joy.

The drives are only a couple of months old.... someone tell me it's not just me!!

Thanks, Mark

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yes, many of the current Barracuda line need firmware updates, esp. the 1TB. Back up what you need from your drives, then see if you can burn & run the firmware update ISO on your Mac. I moved my drives over to a PC to do the firmware update, but understand that the update CD can be run on intel Macs.

4. Raw-m thread starter macrumors newbie

Arse.

Many thanks. Unfortunately it sounds like an HD issue reading the symptoms, just a coincidence at the time of updating. Time to jump forum and get some reliable HD manufacturers (if they exists!!). I tackled the firmware issue a couple of months ago which is why I was confident it was a 10.5.7 issue.

Booooooo Seagate.