seagate barracuda

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neverownedapc, Jul 25, 2008.

1. neverownedapc macrumors member

neverownedapc

yes, i did the search. i was about to order a hd when i heard these have an overheating problem from the representative. can anyone chime in about this supposed problem with seagates? :(

and why is this drive so cheaply priced ($82)? :confused:

help asap would be great since i needed to upgrade by yesterday. any suggestions? also, i'll be using external hds for storage of everything and the main drive for aps only but i'd like a large amount of free space as well to kepp everything fluid. basically i'll be doing everything on this like final cut (eventually final cut 2), cs3, misc music programs, etc. let me know, thanks. :)

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

My Seagate 750 works fine (so far since January)

Are you going to have it on all day everyday?

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I had three ext. Maxtor's and all of them died. Now I have WD and no problems.

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

First of all which model is going for $82 that could determine the issue.

As for Seagate in general I have a 400GB internal, (2) 1TB internals, a 320GB that came in my Mac Pro, and a 40GB that is in my 7 year old Dell laptop. I have had no issues with them. Also one main reason I have purchased them was the 5 year warranty on the drives.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

The price probably depends on how big the drive is. I bought a Seagate Barracuda 1TB for about $190 a few months back. I haven't had any problems with heat or noise but unfortunately my first drive was DOA, but they do have a 5 year warranty and replaced the product in under a week.

6. Eric. macrumors regular

I hope that the 250MB part is a typo...Otherwise the price seems about right. I have always purchased Seagates besides my two external drives. One is an older 200GB Maxtor (before they were bought by Seagate) and a new OWC portable drive with a 320GB Hitachi inside. I have four internal Seagates in the house - 2x500GB and 1x320GB in my gaming PC, and a 250GB in my mom's machine I built for Christmas. I haven't had any issues with any hard drives. I've even got a couple of 8 year old 20GB Maxtors in use.

All companies have their share of bad drives. Stick with a respected brand (Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, or Samsung) and you shouldn't need to worry much. Seagate has 5 year warranties, WD used to have 3 but I'm not sure now since I know the Passports have 5 years.