Seagate Buying LaCie for $186 Million

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hard drive maker Seagate has announced it will purchase data storage device maker LaCie for roughly $186 million.

The company plans to buy the controlling stake owned by Philippe Spruch, Lacie's chairman and CEO, followed by a cash-offer for the rest of the outstanding shares, reports Forbes. Spruch is expected to join Seagate as the head of the company's consumer storage products group.
"The transaction would combine two highly complementary product and technology portfolios, adding LaCie's line of premium branded consumer storage solutions, network-attached storage solutions and software offerings to Seagate's array of mainstream consumer storage products," Seagate said in a statement. "The combination would accelerate Seagate's growth strategy in the expanding consumer storage market, particularly in Europe and Japan, and add strong engineering and software development capabilities, as well as relationships with several key retailers."
Article Link: Seagate Buying LaCie for $186 Million

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I hope they keep LaCie's quality, all my external HD are from them and are excelent, the oldest is 9 years and I still use it weekly.

This should be in the frontpage.

Comment

jjhny

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2005
I just have to say - 186 million for a company that actually makes a product as opposed to 'Fakebook' which makes absolutely nothing (but is a home for lonely, OCD, narcissists) and was initially valued at 100 billion (remember that 1 billion = 1,000 million).

Seriously - it makes sense that we are in a financial mess when things are this far out of whack!

Comment

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
LaCie + Seagate = LaSeagate :)

I've always liked Seagate drives - and I like LaCie but have had a lot of troubles with their power supplies.

Last edited:
Comment

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
Right now, Lacie uses different brands for their HDD (Samsung, Toshiba, etc.) I reckon it will be only Seagate after this. I like Lacie design, though sometimes they compromise on the build quality for the sake of design.

Comment

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I hope they keep LaCie's quality, all my external HD are from them and are excelent, the oldest is 9 years and I still use it weekly.

This should be in the frontpage.
I have LaCie drives in my old Power Mac, at least 15-16 years old. I don't know about my older computers.

Comment

jwdsail

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2004
Hope they leave LaCie alone...

I've read comments in the past re: LaCie quality..

I've been buying ext storage devices since 1995. - 88MB Syquest drives (don't remember who built it anymore not LaCie), Lacie Joule drives, a variety of ext FW400 2.5" drives from a few sources, a few ext FW400 3.5" drives from various companies, and allot of Lacie D2/Quadra drives...

Besides 2 failed power supplies, one replaced under waranty the other cost $20 to replace, LaCie has been the most reliable BY FAR! All others suffered from catastrophic failures of the ATA->FW boards anywhere from 6mo to a year... The only non-LaCie device that never stopped working until I was just done w/ it was the old Syquest drive.. When I finally got rid of my old Centris 650.. (wish I had kept both in hindsight) and got the Wallstreet PB G3/300.

Now, I've never purchased any of Lacie's recent "designer" models, only the D2/Quadra drives...

I just hope Seagate leaves them alone for the most part.. More Thunderbolt options would be nice.. Besides that, don't change a thing..

Comment

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
This is a really sad news. Seagate drives are the best to lose data. Too many horror Seagate drive stories by now. Noisy, heat monsters. I rather want LaCie with Hitachi inside. What a shame!!!

Comment

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
...Yawn. A Hard Drive manufacturer buys a Hard Drive Enclosure manufacturer. This is like Apple buying Belkin, only significantly less about Apple.

Comment

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Well, there's another brand down the toilet. They will switch over to the unopenable enclosures filled with the cheapest leftover disks.

Comment

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I don't know which brands are good anymore. I thought Seagate was well-respected but I keep hearing they aren't too reliable. I also hear Lacies are unreliable, but they've been really reliable for me.

Comment

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Well, there's another brand down the toilet. They will switch over to the unopenable enclosures filled with the cheapest leftover disks.
A hard drive, is a hard drive, is a hard drive. They all are equally un-reliable, regardless of any 'horror story' you may have heard online :rolleyes:

----------

I don't know which brands are good anymore. I thought Seagate was well-respected but I keep hearing they aren't too reliable. I also hear Lacies are unreliable, but they've been really reliable for me.
See above statement.

Comment

thesk1llerz

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Am I the only one who though LaCie would be worth more than 186 million I though they would be worth around 300 - 500 million? Lol
Maybe I'm just crazy xD
~ sk1llz

Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Quality? Have you tried their new drives?
The consumer drives are ***** indeed. Slow, simply wrong S.M.A.R.T. implementation and not long-lasting at all. I like the SSD/HDD hybrid idea, but the controllers suck so bad that these drives are slower than cheaper priced plain HDDs. They still rock the high performance server domain though.

I'm all WD for personal use, Hitachi in the laptop cuz they're quiet and energy efficient.

Comment

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
I just have to say - 186 million for a company that actually makes a product as opposed to 'Fakebook' which makes absolutely nothing (but is a home for lonely, OCD, narcissists) and was initially valued at 100 billion (remember that 1 billion = 1,000 million).

Seriously - it makes sense that we are in a financial mess when things are this far out of whack!
Do you know how many people use Facebook? The advertising revenue is insane.

There are tons of hard drive storage makers. They had to merge because they wouldn't be able to keep up with the competition otherwise.

Comment

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
2 Bad comapnies

Great, now two companies that make sub-par products are combining to make a totally sub-par product. I had my very first Lacie hard drive die 3 days after getting it. Where I work has had 3 of our 5 Lacie drives die within a year, and most of our Seagates have too. Sure I have a G-tech drive that has died, but it did so after 5 year and it's one of my three that did so.

Comment

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Used to be a big fan of Seagate, never really owned a LaCie drive though.

But now I just go WD for externals and Samsung for internal.

Comment

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Am I the only one who though LaCie would be worth more than 186 million I though they would be worth around 300 - 500 million? Lol
Maybe I'm just crazy xD
~ sk1llz
On what basis do you think that they are worth 300-400 million instead of 186 million? Both players in the transaction are highly sophisticated and have a deep understanding of their businesses, so to me it seems likely that the price is likely to represent a realistic valuation of LaCie.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.