Seagate Drive to new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyabcz, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jimmyabcz macrumors newbie

Hi all, forgive me if this is a stupid question...

I have a Seagate 200GB 7200rpm SATA drive (model no. ST9200420ASG) in my Macbook 1,1. I've just ordered a new MBP (15inch, 2.3 quad core i7 w/4G RAM) and wondered whether this drive would slot right in and be fully compatible?

I ordered the new MBP with the stock 5400rpm, 750GB drive. My plan being to swap in my current drive (the 200GB mentioned above) and put the stock 750GB drive in a case and use for Time Machine duties.

Thoughts anyone? Do let me know if anymore info is needed...

Thanks!
    J

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

That drive should work in the new MBP, the physical size is OK, but whether or not you should use it is debatable. The 200GB Seagate is an older model, and the newer drives will be faster, make less noise and vibration and they will give you up to 750GB for a lot less money per GB. You can get a 500GB Seagate for well under a $100 at OWC or Newegg. Having the latest model would be more appropriate for the latest MBP, in my opinion.
    I even suspect the newer 750GB 5,400rpm drive will be almost as fast as the older 200GB 7,200 rpm drive, if not faster! Drive technology advances so much every year, so it is rarely advisable to use an old drive as the main HD in a new machine. It will work fine in an external case for backup etc.
    Nice to hear you got a new 2011 MBP! :cool::apple::cool:

3. shreddy macrumors regular

You could try running Xbench for the disk speed test on your old machine with the old drive and new machine to get a comparison on speed. I'd also bet that the new drive will be faster!

It'd take you a while to fill up 750gb - esp if you're happy to continue with 200gb, so I'd also recommend keeping the new drive in the machine.

4. jimmyabcz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys,

My plan was to use my 200GB in the new MBP until I can afford a 128GB SSD.

I though putting in my 200GB would be faster (in terms of drive speed and time to install) than using migration assistant but if the new 5600rpm/750GB drive will be nearly or as quick as the older 200GB then I'm happy to keep it in.

Thanks again!

J