Seagate Expansion Broken HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Silverrune, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Silverrune, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Silverrune macrumors regular

My seagate expansion just fried itself. The internal controller no longer works. It is almost full of data and I need those documents for school. I used this plugged into my Mac. Right now I am using another lousy sata to USB 2 connector to try and get the drive to work. It spins up but isn't shown in Disk Utilities or anywhere else on Mac OS X for that matter. On windows the drive comes up in the disk management, but doesn't have a file system (was formatted to Mac OS X Journaled). How can I get my drive to work on my Mac again? I really don't want to lose all my data. I am getting an external drive enclosure tomorrow morning to see if that would help.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Swapping the electronics with an identical drive might work.

In the future always have a backup solution. Dropbox, Skydrive, an extra hard drive, NAS.

3. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I've been wanting to make a backup solution for quite a while, just haven't had the resources available. I ended up finding a replacement circuit board (The one that got fried, not the hard drive circuit) for around $8 on ebay. I should be getting it this week.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Both Dropbox (5GB) and Skydrive (25GB) are free and offer multi platform file synchronization and at the very least give you global access to those important files.

Anyone reading this thread without a backup solution (lost file disaster stories are posted every day here on MacRumors) I'd advise you to take the time to set something up.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheComputerBackupRuleOfThree.aspx

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

In addition, most universities provide students with some amount of cloud storage for documents.