Seagate External not showing files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ScottDrummer, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

Hey,
    I have a Seagate external drive, which has file on it, however those files do not always show in finder. Sometimes no files show at all. After power cycling the drive the files show, but I need to do this 5-6 times a day to have all my files show.
    Any ideas? im on 10.5 intel iMac

TIA

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did you use Disk Utility (Application > Utilities) to Verify the Disk?
    What does it say?

How is it connected (USB, Firewire,...)? Came it with a case, or did you (or someone else) bought the HD and put it in an external case?

3. ScottDrummer thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a seagate free agent pro, so its a pre built enclosure. I have disk util and verified, came back OK.
    Connect via firewire

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if it will solve your problem, but when I had some difficulties with my Firewire drives showing on the Desktop, I used the following procedure (from Apple):

Shut down your computer, unplug all cables (even the power plug).
    Wait for 15 seconds (I waited 5 minutes, just to be sure or whatever), and plug in the power and the keyboard with the mouse.

The start up, let the boot and log in processes finish, and plug in the Seagate drive.

I hope that helps.

5. ScottDrummer thread starter macrumors 6502

ok im an Apple technician, so its safe to assume Ive been through all the basic checks, im thinking this may be an indexing issue with spotlight or some more involved than unplugging the drive.
    As mentioned this temporarily restores view of all files, however intermittently the files will not show. Only a restart of the drive will allow all files to show.