Seagate Free Agent 500 GB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Naimfan, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If anyone needs some external storage fairly inexpensively, Comp USA has the drive in the title for $129.

Are they any good?

Bob

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm using the Free Agent 500GB and Free Agent Pro 500GB myself. Very quiet drives and looks good on my desk too. They come with 5 years warranty so I think they're a good buy.

3. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I got one of those for my folks, it's been great. I give it a thumbs up. In fact at that price I may get one for myself— you can never have too much backup space

4. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Update:

Just saw this drive at Office Max for $119.00. At that price, I'm really tempted--the only thing holding me back is wondering if it's worth holding out for a WD MyBook with Firewire--which is currently $149 on NewEgg.....

Thoughts?

Bob

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

They make a few different versions. One is USB only. They have FW400 and others too.USB is ok if the purpose is incremental backups or you need a portable disk that will work on any computer. But for use on a Mac to hold on-line data yo want FW400 or FW800.

So is it any good? Depends on which interface it was and your needs but in general the Seagate drive that is inside the box is very good with a long 5 year warranty

6. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Chris--

Thanks. Both of the ones I've seen are USB only. I'm not using it for video or anything like that--I just want a reliable backup disk I can back things up on and store video, pictures, etc. on. So it sounds like it would be reasonable, n'est-ce pas?

Bob

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I was going to post a new thread to ask this question, but this seems like a pretty good place to try... I'm going to get a 500gb HDD (well, I'll end up with 2 or 3 or 4 500gb drives eventually, but one for now) to hold videos for streaming to an XBox360, a TiVo/network attached PC, maybe an AppleTV if I ever get one, (wouldn't it be cool of you could stream video to an iPod touch?) etc etc.

Essentially, it'll be an iTunes library disk. I'm figuring a good USB drive would work fine (say a LaCie by Porsche) and save me like $50, which is an extra gig of RAM. Anyone have any thoughts?

8. buymarshon macrumors newbie

i need help with my seagate free agent pro external hard drive. i have it installed and everything was fine but now when i try to drag my newly downloaded songs onto my external harddrive it says:

the finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data cannot be read or written. error code -36

now when this used to happen i would just disconnect the external harddrive and once i plugged it back it then it would work or i would restart my computer. could it be because i played the song once on my itunes already?

help please cos i only use my harddrive to copy my mp3 library on there..

9. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I've got the Free Agent too-but mine's the 750GB model and use it store all my games.

It's formatted using NTFS-so you may need NTFS-3G from http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/.