Seagate Free Agent Go Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MarkSTi04, Mar 3, 2009.

1. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

I have a 500GB Seagate Free Agent Go HD and was wanting to use it for my Time Machine back up. I cant modify any of the files when I have it connected to my MBP. But I can modify everything when its connected to my PC, so I know this is a format issue. My question is how can I reformat the HD so I can use it for my back up off of the Airport Extreme?

I really don't have the money to go out and buy the Free Agent Go for Mac, and this drive was just used to transfer data from my PC to the MBP when I first got it.

I did go into the drive and set it so I can share and change file on the drive, but it still would need to be in the right format for it to work right with the Airport, correct?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The format a drive has to be in for use by Time Machine is HFS+, also known as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You can format the drive using the Disk Utility application. Select the drive, then go to the Erase tab, make sure the right format is selected, then click Erase. This doesn't address the second issue, regarding backing up to the drive which will eventually be connected to your AirPort Extreme. According to this you can't back up to AirPort disks connected to an Extreme, only to a Time Capsule.

3. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the second part I just found out before I seen your reply to this thread. I had forgot about the Disk Utility. Im still learning the ways of the Mac, and with this PC still sitting in my Office it still has me in that mind set of PC mode. I cant wait to get called back to work so I can make some money and get this PC out of my life once and for good.

(I was laid-off 2 weeks ago and Im waiting for a call back to work. Being union employed has its draw backs and its benifits......)