Seagate Free Agent Help...Please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Newmacer2, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

Sorry if this is a repeat post, but apparently there so many problems with Seagate Free Agent drives, I couldn't find a post among the hundreds readily and I need sleep. Last night, my drive stayed on, lights and all, all freaking night long. I turned off my Mac, but nothing changed. The light stayed on. It was like living in an apartment above Time Square on New Year's Eve. I finally unplugged the damn thing. I was hoping it would fix itself overnight, but it didn't. It seems to be doing a good job of backing up with time machine, but the *(^%$ light won't turn off. Help please. Thanks.

2. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Last night, my drive stayed on, lights and all, all freaking night long. I turned off my Mac, but nothing changed. The light stayed on"

Does the enclosure have an on/off switch?

A friend has an external (I _think_ it's a Seagate) and -- amazingly -- it has no power on/off switch. I can't understand why they wouldn't include one as a matter of course.

If you want the light to go off, and the drive to TURN OFF, I can see three options:
    1. Unplug the power connector from the back of the drive
    2. Unplug the power block (wall wart) for the drive
    3. BEST OPTION: Have the Mac _and_ the drive's power supply plugged into a power strip. At night (or whenever you want to shut it all down), after you shut down the Mac, just reach down and flip the power strip switch to OFF. Next day, before you boot the Mac, reach down and flip it back ON.

Do the solution in #3 above, and I guarantee (100%) that you will NEVER be bothered by that light again. :)

4. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Bud Ump Bump!

Thanks, that was really helpful.

But, seriously folks, for anyone reading this post and having the same problem, I fixed my Seagate drive by using Disk Utility/Repair. Is there anything better than Google for problem solutions? I don't think so.

5. makinao macrumors regular

Do you hear it clicking? If it is, then google "click of death" for hard disks. I had an external clicking and going nuts like yours a few months ago. I managed to get it fixed by Disk Utility, but it completely died a week later.

6. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Clicking?

No, no clicking yet, but thanks for the warning. I'll backup everything on something else just in case. Thanks again.