Seagate FreeAgent 750GB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Squonk, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Does anyone one know the spec's on the hard drive that Seagate puts in this model? This is the regular model, not the PRO. Seagate part # ST307504FDA1E1-RK. I tried Seagate's site, but I did not find what I was looking for.

OfficeMax has them for $128.00 + free shipping which seems like a really good deal.

I'm interested is the cache size and the interface type of this drive as I'm thinking of removing the drive from the case to put in my mac pro and then put a smaller drive in the external case.

Thank you! :)

2. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

I'm not sure on the regular model, but the Pro's had seagate 7200.10 750gb sata drives w/16mb cache. These ones here *might* be older ide / pata drives since they don't have eSATA connectors on the base.. or you could get lucky and have the 7200.10, but its a crapshoot

unfortunately you missed an unadvertised deal that Best Buy had a couple days ago.. select stores had the pro models for $53.99 (yes 750gb)

3. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

Oh wow - now that's a great deal! Bummer I missed that one. Thanks anyway...

I suspect that you are right that the non-pro model probably has a slower drive in it. If I want a screaming fast drive, I should just buy one.... :p

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

All of Seagates 750 gig drives are 7200 rpm. The "Pro" models have other interfaces besides USB-only, including FW400, FW800 and/or eSATA. There's no way to tell if the drive is PATA or SATA without opening its enclosure.

5. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

Thanks CaveMan!

That reminds me of another question - how easy are these enclosures to open up?

6. Karstan macrumors member

costco has some right now, for a sweet price.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The two that I have don't have any visible screws. I suspect they are snap-together. No idea how to open them, though.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I just checked Costco's web site and I'm unimpressed with their prices. Where did you see the "sweet price"?