Seagate FreeAgent External Drive won't mount anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aftershockagain, Mar 11, 2008.

1. aftershockagain macrumors newbie

I'm running a Powerbook 12" G4, and the external drive is a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop, 350GB.

I was working on some graphics work last night and saved onto the drive, and shut it down for the night before I went to sleep. This morning I started up my laptop and tried to connect the external hard drive, but got an error saying that the drive could not be mounted, though it was working perfectly fine last night.

I went into Disk Utility and tried to verify the drive and got the following message, which also turns up when I try to repair it.

298.1GB Seagate FreeAgent Desktop

Verifying volume “disk1s3”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Detected a case-sensitive catalog.
    Invalid node structure
    Invalid node structure
    Catalog file entry not found for extent
    The volume needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

So, as far as I can figure out, there's no physical damage to the drive, as my computer still recognizes it in Disk Utility, but there's something wrong with the file structure or maybe the way the file was saved? I left it on overnight and I'm worried that the disk wasn't unmounted properly because, not thinking, I turned off the power-strip after I closed the laptop.

Also, out of curiosity, I tried verifying my internal drive and got this message, I'm not sure if it's related but I figured I'd try and include as much info as possible ("Gemini" is the name of my drive):

Verifying volume “Gemini”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Illegal name
    Incorrect block count for file T-7505677-Chemical Brothers ft. Richard Ashcroft - The Test.mp3
    (It should be 0 instead of 41)
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume Gemini needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Gemini” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
    1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

If anyone could help, I'd be indebted to you. My drive has a lot of my portfolio work on it that it important and I can't really afford to lose or erase. And also, I know DiskWarrior is available and I've seen a lot of references to it, but I'd like to try and solve this without throwing a lot of money at the problem unless I really have to.

2. maheshexp macrumors newbie

Get the latest USB drivers from Apple Dev Con

I found a solution for this problem. I tried installing latest USB drivers from Apple Dev Connection and things worked fine. All the USBs got mounted and the icons placed in the desktop.

Check out how to do it..

http://mymindleaks.com/apple/how-to-enable-usb-in-leopard/