Seagate FreeAgent Go for Mac (Windows compatible?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedWings, Aug 26, 2009.

1. RedWings macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy the FreeAgent Go for Mac 500-GB FireWire 800, FireWire 400 & USB 2.0 Drive. It says its formatted "for Mac". Will Windows be able to read/write from this drive?

I want an external drive (2.5" form factor) that I can use between my MBP and my window's machines. I was looking at the subject ext. HDD because it has Firewire.

What if i bought the drive and reformatted to NTFS? Would the firewire still work? I have a program currently on my MBP that allows me to read/write to my NTFS formatted ext. drives.

Thanks in advance from this Mac newb.

EDIT: Link to drive: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...f6e4c110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Don't buy the Mac edition. It's just extra money that saves you literally 15-20 seconds by not requiring you to format the drive.

Windows can't read HFS+ (Mac OS Extended – Journaled), which is how the drive is probably formatted out of the box, without additional drivers. If you're only planning to use the drive with one Mac, I suggest installing MacFUSE and NTFS-3G and formatting the drive to NTFS.

3. RedWings thread starter macrumors regular

My plan is to use the ext. HDD with my Windows machines and my MBP. So firewire won't make that much of a difference?

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

just get the windows version, its cheaperr [​IMG] format it to fat32 so both operating systems can read it or format it to nfts (windows) and google mac nfts browser

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's "NTFS", as in "Windows NT Filesystem"