Seagate FreeAgent Go Portable Drive 320GB, Any Experiences??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Jul 15, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I really like the design,size and the idea of connecting it with a dock, However I also have a windows work laptop that I would like to use with it, but I dont think its compatible with windows? If anyone can clarify that would be great.

Or if anyone has any like for like alternatives to this product, Im interested in knowing.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's fully compatible with Windows. Mac version means that it's formatted to HFS+ instead of NTFS, FAT32 etc.. Just use disk utility to partition the drive so you can use one partition with Windows and one with OS X.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I currently have both windows 7 and leopard on my mbp with Bootcamp, Would that be a problem?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. Just divide the drive for two partitions with Disk Utility or download MacDrive for Windows so it can read and write HFS+.

5. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Thanks for the info, Do you use a seagate drive?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nope, but I have 3 LaCies. Seagate is a good manufacturer, don't be afraid. If you need help, just add my MSN so I'll help you when you get it.

EDIT: LaCie doesn't manufacture their drives so they use 3rd party drives like Seagate and WD

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Cool that would be awesome, I'll most likely make the purchase later, Can you send me your msn account via PM?

Regards

8. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Ignore that, Have added you.

9. suekitch macrumors regular

It's not the same model, but I thought I'd chime in to say that I'm very happy with my FreeAgent Go. It's just the plain black one though, not Mac edition, and it's 250GB. So I've formatted mine FAT32 since I do work with Windows sometimes (specifically in a PC shop lol!) and it travels with me.

Actually my next external will be a FreeAgent full size, Mac Edition, firewire and all :) That one will stay at my place though, where it'll only need to do anything with an iMac or a MBP.

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I've got the 250 GB FreeAgent Go and no problems to report here for around a year now.