Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TWO2SEVEN, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes the Go-Flex should come with the drivers to facilitate reading and writing to both Windows and OSX (It has a Seagate specific driver that allows the drive to mount and be written to by OS X when formatted NTFS. It will not be useable with Time Machine when formatted NTFS so the backups will have to be handled manually.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Partition your hard drive. Make one Mac Journaled for Time Machine backup. Make the other partition exFat to be used on your Mac/PC system. Macs can only read NTFS but not write to them (unless you have a special driver/software).

4. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I should have been more clear. I don't want to backup my system. I want spare copies of my music, pictures, and important documents.

Sounds like I should be able to switch back and forth between the systems like I can with my USB flash drive. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help so far!

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes that is correct as long as you leave it NTFS formatted and use the drivers included from Seagate for the Mac side. If you want to reformat into exFat so the drivers aren't needed then you limit the Windows support, as it needs to be an OS greater than XP (not sure on Vista, but win7 is supported for sure). The NTFS format is the most popular and has the greatest flexibility/ compatibility.

6. jackrv macrumors 6502

I currently have 2 GoFlex drives. One is formatted HFS+ and only used for Time Machine backups. The other I formatted with ExFat, which I use with both my Mac at home and my PC at work. Windows 7, Vista, and even Win XP (with an update) can read/write ExFat with no problems.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Thanks for the correction, i didn't know XP was supported finally. Good info to know. I too have several of them as well. I link the ability to swap docks as needed to get the fastest throughput for my needed situation.

8. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thank you!
    I don't plan to change any formatting. I will just be using it as plug and play.

Thanks again everyone!

9. jackrv macrumors 6502

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955704

Just a disclaimer that I have not actually tested ExFat on an XP machine, as all the PCs I currently use are Win7 but I did come across this when I was researching for compatibility.

10. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

ExFat works on Windows XP SP3 plus patch from Microsoft. I've used it for my work laptop. However, MacDrive Pro 9 is my preferred software in Windows 7 because it can access OSX RAID drives like the Lacie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk.

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

New GoFlex's have an issue with sleep mode and Lion. Essentially they'll spin down and refuse to spin up, and when they do they'll totally hang Finder. Just had to return two I had as a result. Pay a visit to Seagates board,there's like a 60 page discussion thread on the issue.

Fortunately I bought mine at Costco so the return was painless. Went with WD MyBook's instead with no issues.

12. paulisme macrumors 6502

I've been using a GoFlex drive for about three months and haven't experienced that.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I have one and it only does that infrequently. This is on firewire 800. I have not used the drive much on USB (came with both interfaces).

I'll take the few instances I have had with this over the complete meltdown of the 2 MyBooks I had (one is still living in another enclosure--and getting it out of the MyBook enclosure was a royal PITA).

Michael

14. jackrv macrumors 6502

Is this for only new GoFlexes? I've been using both of mine (bought a year ago), and neither has had any problem at all. I Upgraded to Lion 1 week after release.

(Of mine, one is on FW800 HFS+ (TM Backup), and one is USB 2.0 ExFat (Mac/Window xfers) ) Neither has had issues.